Can I put this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanader

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an 10g planted tank with just 3 Platys in it. The stream behind my house is loaded with Spring Salamander Larvae and clams. I'm wondering, neither of these two species are threatened or anything. Think it would be safe to try and introduce a specimen of either of these two species?

First, welcome to A. A. , now on to the questions.

Generally its recommended not to mix native or wild caught specimens with tank raised specimens. The wild caught have usually built resistance to a number of different diseases found in nature, but may carry that disease into your aquarium. I would recommend a seperate tank for the wild caught natives.

While all three specimens are native to N. America, it doesn't naturally follow that all three need the same water chemistry requirements.

I would also be concerned with the metamorphosis of your Spring salamander and accomadating that change. Once it gets used to feeding on provided food, it may not do so well when you release it, and since they are only semi aquatic, you will have to release it or provide another suitable environment.

The clams are filter feeders, and may or may not get enough food in your aquarium, they will not survive on fish food.

Also be aware of local laws; are there any local laws that would prevent you from collecting from the stream?

Just some food for thought.

+1 You can add wild critters to your tank, but it's not a good idea to release them back to the wild. Wy Renegade brought up some good points about the needs of both the salamander and the clams. I'd hesitate to add the salamander, but I think the clams could do well in an established tank if they can handle the tropical temperatures.

clams are also often hard to know if they are dead since they bury in the substrate. if dead they will rot away and can foul the water. both seem to get to be too large for your 10 gallon also.

where are you from?

the clams we have in ohio can get to about 3in sometimes 4in across. that ug of clam would require a decent amount of food but not so much that you couldnt keep it alive.

you ar gona need some current because as said they are filter feeders and they need the water moving past them. my girlfriend had two about the size of a quarter in her tank for about a year till her bullhead was rearanging the tank and found them(didnt think a fish would eat a clam) but they were still alive about a week b4. but she didnt have a heater (tank stayed about 65-67) but they should grow well in temps up to mid to hi 70s

my thoughts are there free put one in your tank and keep track where there at and check them when you do water changes

Clams are a no-no unless you are able/willing to provide large amounts of water-column-suspended food and enough of a rigorous current of water movement so that food makes it to them. Not the easiest thing to do, and especially difficult in a tank as small as 10g.

I would also be extremely wary of mixing native & store-bought species -- unless you live in the far south of this country, then there is no way any native species are going to be comfortable in the tropical temperatures that platys need. And even if you do, say, live in far southern Florida or something, there are still the issues of being exposed to different diseases.

And you absolutely must not release anything you catch back to the environment after you've had it in captivity. Tropical fish often have many disease-causing organisms (bacteria etc.) growing on/in them in very tiny amounts that their immune systems keep in check so the fish doesn't actually get sick. But a species that is not normally used to being exposed to these organisms might not have any such defenses, and if you release it back to the environment then it can become a carrier and infect all sorts of animals all around. Just a really bad idea.

If collecting is legal, and you can give the salamander larvae a tank of their own, and you can give them a proper environment all the way through adulthood, then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom