Can I reuse gravel after an unknown illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waikle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all... Unfortunately I appear to be on track to lose my last 5 fish within the next few days or so. I have tried treatments available to me and nothing is helping so I think I am at the point where I just need to let it happen and start over again... and not buy fish from the pet store. What I really need to know is if I can clean and reuse gravel or if that is not advised? Or does it depend on what might be in my water? I know at least one fish was infected with Camallanus worms which I have been treating them all with Fenbenzanole from the vet but in the meantime I also seem to have some kind of fungus going on and all I can get locally is Pimafix and that is not helping. If cleaning and reusing substrate is acceptable what is the best way to do so? Also, I am done with the pet store. Is there an online order site that ships fish within Canada? If so what quality fish can I expect online? Thanks a bunch, Dawn

I would break down the tank and clean /disinfect all equip you deem non disposable with a strong solution of bleach and water(50/50) IMO.
Many use Pool shock since it is a stronger form of bleach(all still chlorine).
Levamisole HCI is the recommended treatment for camallanus now not fen.

Not sure but maybe there are sellers located in Canada on AquaBids??

I'm not a fan of bleach, I have no rational reasoning, just doesn't feel right to use it with a tank. I know that many people use it but I don't.
If you really wanted to re-use the substrate then I would boil it for about 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom