Can I "seed" a new tank from a pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking around for an aquarium. I've been reading a lot about the "cycle" and all, and also about Bio-Spora. I have a small pond in my back yard (700-800 gallon) with 5 shubunkins, snails, a frog, and whatever else has found it. It is about two years old and has lots of plants and water lilies. So I have two questions:

Can I somehow seed filter material (or something) in the pond before I get the aquarium to get a good crop of bacteria?

Also, I have anacharis and hornwort growing like crazy in the pond. Can these be safely transferred to an aquarium?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Every time I transfer something in from my pond I bring something else with it. Snails, daphnia, small worms, etc.

Once when I was trying to transfer some anacharis I accidentally left it on my back porch in full sun for several minutes. I think it killed everything, and left the anacharis plasticy. After a good soak in the tank the anacharis sprang back to life.

Assuming you have plenty of plants to "experiment" on, I would try different things to kill hitchhikers without killing the plants.

I agree with Roger; you can seed from the pond, but you've no way of knowing what else you're introducing into your new tank.

If you can get Bio-Spira, get it. If the directions are followed, it's near fool-proof.

seed

Many, many of us have gotten hitchickers (snails, etc) buying plants from a LFS. I imagine the odds of getting something you don't want, and might be dangerous to your fish is a whole lot higher from your pond. If you can quarantine the plants for a time and see what shows up you may be okay. And ditto on the Bio Spira. If you follow the directions and it has been kept refrigerated, it is like an instant cycle. Good Luvk!!

Ask your LFS if they will let you seed something from one of their tanks. Maybe some gravel from an established tank, buy a pound for the tank to exchange for the seeded gravel. Who knows, maybe they will just give you some.

I've used Bio Spira twice, both from different stores, for my 20gal and 55gal and each time you would have never known it was there. The Nitrites went very high and I ended up doing very large daily pwc. Everything else made by Marineland and their family of companys I have been very happy with but my experience is that Spira is a waste of $. As said before nothing beats some fresh gravel or filter material from an established tank.
again jmo

The problem with Bio-Spira is with the handling - if its mishandled and allowed to warm it kills the bacteria and renders it useless. I've used it twice and it worked perfectly. As long as its kept cool every step of the way (through shipping, stocking and the ride home) it works. When you don't have an established tank to take seeding material from its the next best thing.

I have used Cycle for over 15 years and never have had any problems what so ever. I have never lost a fish due to disease or water quality and have successfully bred many types of egg layers. I have seen others knock this product, but it is the only thing other then food that I put in the tank (except a little plant food). Just read the directions and go for it. I use to go through the trouble of testing water with my Tetra kit, but now I feel it's a waste of my money. Nothing beats good maintenance, water changes and a the appropriate amount of filtration.

I have not tested my water in six years, but I [i]highly [/i]recommend the novice to test theirs.

I have a creek in my back yard and thought I would grab a couple of neat looking plants one time. All was well and the plants were doing good, other then the new algae I introduced. It was a form of algae I never saw before and it was tough to get rid of. I also got some snails out of the deal, but the little Clown Loaches just loved them!

Back
Top Bottom