Can I seed my new tank with media/gravel from old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting ready to setup my new tank. I'd like to start the nitrogen cycle and I'm wondering if I can take filter media or gravel or water from my other 6.6 gallon tank and use it to seed this one.

However, in my other tank, I've experienced four guppy deaths due to unknown causes. I'm thinking weak stock from Petsmart, but I'm not sure.

What do you think? OK to seed with this tank or no?

If the media from your other tank is not diseased from anything sure. Did you guppies show any signs of disease?

If the media from your other tank is not diseased from anything sure. Did you guppies show any signs of disease?

Two of them had what looked like a haze to them. Two of them...just died. Two are left in the tank currently and are doing fine. I did treat with Pimafix when I had the two with the hazy stuff on them, but they died anyway.

My two snails and two guppies from this tank are doing well. They are all that's left in there. Well, that and a TON of plants.

If you are unsure what caused the death of the fish in this tank, I honestly would skip using anything from this tank to cycle the new one.

If you are unsure what caused the death of the fish in this tank, I honestly would skip using anything from this tank to cycle the new one.

I am not sure. I could rule a few things out, but I have no idea why they died. Here's how it went:
1st tank: two died. New tank shock. Tank wasn't cycled.
2nd tank: two died. Some grey/white haze to them. Not sure. Tank was cycled.
2nd tank: bought two more and they died within a week. Tank was cycled.

Two guppies remain, along with a ramshorn and mystery snail.

Which makes me think of another question...can I transfer my plants, snail and two guppies over then? I'd really like to since this new tank will replace the smaller one.

Tough call here! Ok, if everything is going to the new tank, you may as well just moved everything over (fish, filter, gravel etc). As you plan on moving the fish anyway, if they are infected with something, it will move with them to the new tank.

That said, I would cycle the new tank from scratch and keep the fish where they are for now. By the time the new tank is cycled, your fish will either have a clean bill of health or they won't. If they do, move them to the new tank. Then you can use the old tank to qt any new additions for the new tank. Once they are out of qt, you can dismantle the old tank & run it's filter on the new tank to keep it cycled. But, this is just my opinion on how I would handle things. It may not be practical for you to do this and that's completely understandable, too! Think about what will work best for your situation and ask any questions you may have! :)

Yeah, it's tough. I don't know. I definitely want to move over the plants since they are in good shape and there's like $20 of plants in there! LOL

I want to do this right and I'll be patient.

Since my mystery snail has done so well, I'm inclined to think the guppy deaths were just a fluke. Don't know.

Is there anything I can DO to the plants before moving them over to the new tank to reduce them carrying over anything funky?

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Snails dont harbor fish diseases with a few uncommon exceptions (nematodes, leeches) so no worries about the snails! Plants can be disinfected before moving them via a potassium permagnate bath, 5% bleach dip (sturdier plants), hydrogen peroxide dip or Excel dip. I have only used PP for my plants but I know many people use the other options. If you have questions on using one of the others, just do search on here or ask how to disinfect plants in the planted section here. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask more questions! :)

Snails dont harbor fish diseases with a few uncommon exceptions (nematodes, leeches) so no worries about the snails! Plants can be disinfected before moving them via a potassium permagnate bath, 5% bleach dip (sturdier plants), hydrogen peroxide dip or Excel dip. I have only used PP for my plants but I know many people use the other options. If you have questions on using one of the others, just do search on here or ask how to disinfect plants in the planted section here. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask more questions! :)

Oh, there'll be no shortage of questions from me. :)

I'm happy to hear my snail will be a safe transplant. I have another mystery snail coming soon. :)

Thank you, again, for your help. It's very appreciated. I hope one day to be able to help other noobs!

Back
Top Bottom