Can I use my buddie's cannister filter if he has a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobo22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a tank for a while (around a year) and have never been able to keep it fully clear for any period of time. I gravel vac often but i'm worried about changing out water too fast.

My buddy upgraded his filter and gave me his Fluval 405 along with a bunch of substrate. Should I be concerned about using it in my freshwater tank after its been used for saltwater filtration for an extended period of time? I currently am using Tetra whisper hang over back filter rated for 10 gallons more than my tank. its pretty meh.

Also, he said there might be a part missing. Basically there is an intake hose, an output hose, a power plug, and the substrate. Am i missing something?

I have a 40 gallon tank by the way with an angelfish, tricolor shark, grommie, and a pretty large placo.

much appreciated.

It can still be used but I'd recommend cleaning it. For the other question I've never used a 405 so I'm not sure if its all there or not. Maybe if you had pictures I'd be able to tell.

I'm with Andrew... Don't know what you could be missing. Check the parts list on Hagen's website.
Clean it for sure. Give it a good rinse with a weak bleach solution and then a good rinse in a strong vinegar solution. I would then run it in a large bucket filled with a strong vinegar solution for at least a day to make sure all the salt is removed from all the nooks and crannies inside. Then a good rinse with dechlorinated water (extra dechlorinator) to make sure all the bleach is nutralized.

Back
Top Bottom