Can someone please check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earwig999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my water test results?

I got an API Master Test Kit but it came with no card to check the colours on.

I downloaded some pictures from the net but not sure if the printer is giving me the correct colours.

Anyway I get them as follows from left to right -

PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.25
No2 (NitrIte) - 0
No3 (NitrAte) - 10

Does this sound correct?

I have been doing a fish in cycle for a few weeks, but only just got a test kit. I have been maintaining water changes every couple of days and also using ornaments and filter media from another aquarium to help speed things up.

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 92
I have disposed of the samples now so will have to test again tomorrow and take a photo with white background. Can NitrAte be too high and should I continue as I have been or try to increase my ammonia?

You have fish in the tank? How many and what kind? You don't add ammonia with fish in cycle your fish create it. As your ammonia and nitrItes decrease you're going to see an increase in nitrAtes, which should be kept at or below 20 (when doing a fish in cycle), the way you remove them when they get too high is by your water changes.

It looks to me as if you have some nitrIte as well. With fish in the tank and ammonia at .25 I'd consider doing a pwc tonight. Is this the first time nitrite has shown up or has it gone through the spike already and is coming down?

If you haven't seen it, there's a link in my signature called "new tank with fish;" it'll guide you through.

Woke up this morning to two of my fish dead :(

They had been ok before. Done a 50% PWC after testing again this morning.

Worryingly the results are as follows -

PH - 8.0 (Did PH High test)
Ammonia - 0.50
No2 (NitrIte) - 0.25 - 0.50
No3 (NitrAte) - 10

Will test again tonight after work.

I had 4 Danios in the tank and 2 RCS and a BNC

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
Sorry about your fish :( You may need to do larger water changes than 50%. Remember if ammonia and/or nitrite are at .5, and you do a 50% pwc, that only gets them down to .25 which is still on the borderline side of worrisome.

What dechlorinator are you using? If you can use Prime and double the dose when you do pwc, it may buy you some time in between pwc b/c it will temporarily detoxify the effects of the toxins (but it is not to be used in place of pwc). Also adding a small amount of aquarium salt may help ease the nitrite effects on the fish (again, not to be used in place of pwc and not too much; I don't know the exact dose, perhaps someone else can help).

Cycling is pretty hard on the fish. Sorry about your guys. :(

I agree with librarygirl, and you may need to do pwc's twice a day just so the level of toxins stay safe. Fish in cycles are a lot of work, but if you put the time and effort in it will be worth it to have happy healthy fish :)

I will do another water change tonight when I get back, aim for 75%.

I'm alternating between two dechlorinators at the moment (Bio-Active Tap Safe - Interpet and King British SafeGuard) The interpet one says it has Aloe Vera in so I use that to help the sore gills of the Danio.

Just my luck that the day after I get the test kit they croak, just need to keep on top of water changes now.

I thought I was going in the right direction to get my bacteria built and balanced but obviously not.

Can I test my water about an hour after a PWC or is that too soon?

You're on the right track :) it takes a lot of work and patience, as long as you keep up with your water changes everything should be fine, someone on here once said to be a good fish keeper you need to become part biochemist part zoologist. Every filter is different as far as testing the water again, it depends on how many gph it can do, but I would think an hour is fine.

Done a 75% PWC, left with both filters and airstone running for 1 hour.

Re-tested

PH - 7.6 (Did not do PH High test) Will worry about this after
Ammonia - 0.25 (I think maybe 0)
No2 (NitrIte) - 0
No3 (NitrAte) - 10

Concerned as during the PWC I seem to have lost a shrimp. He normally hides but haven't seen him anywhere. Was there after added the new water, might have got buried under sand :ermm:. Hopefully he will appear in the morning.

So now only have (Will they create enough ammonia to maintain the cycle)

1 Zebra Danio
1 Pearl Danio
1 Bristlenose Catfish (Plec)
1 Red Cherry Shrimp

Temp 24 degrees C

Do I need my tank to maintain a low amount of ammonia, in order to create nitrIte and in turn create nitrAtes. Just during the cycle process?

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 52
You're looking real good, 0 nitrtIte will be a light blue color no hints of purple, 0 ammo will be yellow with no hints of green. Your fish are just fine for a fish in cycle, don't add anymore fish until your cycle is complete. Your cycle will be complete when ammo and nitrIte stay 0 (without water changes) I would say for a few days someone may come along and correct me on that. Once that happens you can add new fish slowly. ****When adding new fish RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! **** Make sure whatever you chose likes the same temps (around about) gets along with everything in your tank, and is the right size for your tank :)

Your fish will keep the bacteria supplied with ammonia, they are actually reproducing/colonizing to handle the amount of waste your fish are producing. Fascinating really how the nitrogen cycle works. Sorry about your shrimp I do hope it shows up :) oh and about your ph fish can acclimate to ph as long as its not large changes too quickly.

Sorry about your shrimp I do hope it shows up :)

He did, not sure where he hides but he sure makes sure it's a good spot!

Will test again in the morning and do another PWC.

Thanks for your replies it's difficult when you aren't familiar with testing and cycling but I guess once you have done it it's like riding a bike (excuse the pun) lol

Lol once you understand the cycle its cake, and believe me some of us are addicted also known as "multi-tank syndrome" I am working on a third lol

No dramatic changes overnight and no casualties. :)

PH - 7.8 (Did PH High test)
Ammonia - 0.25
No2 (NitrIte) - 0 - 0.25 (Very slight purple tinge)
No3 (NitrAte) - 10

Will do a further PWC 50% tonight.

Should my NitrAte begin climbing from 10?
Once cycled will I still have to do PWC and how often, do you just test weekly and monitor Ammo and NitrIte?

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 49
With the water changes I doubt you'll see the nitrAtes go up real high. Depending on how much waste your fish give out wc's and testing should be good once a week once you're cycled. If you notice your parameters are high at once a week you may either want to do it more frequent or larger %. Once your tank has cycled you shouldn't see any ammo or nitrItes.

Did another 50% tonight and waited a couple of hours to test -

PH - 8.0 (Did PH High test)
Ammonia - 0 - 0.25
No2 (NitrIte) - 0
No3 (NitrAte) - 10

Going to just test tomorrow night and will PWC as needed.

Can you over oxygenate water and would that effect results?

I have an air stone/bar running for about 15 hours a day.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom