Can Somone Review my stocking ideas for my 40 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigFatFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I am looking into getting back into aquariums, and already have a few things to use. First off, I have a turtle clean 30 external canister filter, It is meant for turtles but has all 3 filtration methods so it should be just fine IMO. I also have a light with a turtle basking bulb and a regular bulb as well. the tank is a 40 gallon, nothing fancy. I also have some heaters, they will keep the water at about 75 Fahrenheit. Tomorrow I am building the tank stand and will start the cycle of the aquarium. My sister has a betta tank and is letting me wring out her filter into the water to go-ahead and get that started. anyway, the fish that I were looking at and (if the compatibility is fine) will order when the cycle is complete are 4 albino corys, 3 rainbow shark (or should I do retail sharks) 3 veil angels, 1 Trinidad pleco, 4 dwarf blue gouramis, and 2-3 balloon mollies. I am a noob when it comes to these things and am open to advice. Thanks in advance.

Balloon mollies have a very short lifespan because of their body shape.
It sounds like you have a lot of bottom feeders, maybe just stick to one type. Mollies may be top feeders but in my experience they will scrounge around the bottom for food as well.
I'm not sure about the gourami/angelfish compatibility since I haven't had either.

Ok, thanks for your quick reply. So besides the gourami/angelfish, everything should be alright in terms of compatibility? I was kind of worried about the rainbow shark and the corydoras.

Again I said I'd stick to one bottom dwelling fish. Your rainbow shark will get 6" and are territorial. Maybe just stick to just the corydoras.

I have just started my tank, and I started with mollys.

Indeed they spent a lot of time around the bottom eating.

From my experience, angels would primarily be best as a "centerpiece" fish. I have kept them with mollies, but mollies prefer much harder waters and angelfish prefer more neutral softer waters. If you decide angels I would choose an even number, as countless times I have had angels pair up and a single one is left out and bullied. I only leave odd angels when I know they are the same gender. I have not kept gourami's but from what I have heard they are very betta-like, and could potentially become aggressive and territorial. It is like a mix of betta and angel behavior. Cory's like to be in groups of 6, and the more fish you have the more "natural" they are to behave.

Your pleco supposedly can reach 20 inches, and they need wood to rasp on to help digestion and they poop, a lot. I would recommend maybe a bristlenose pleco. There's albino, normal, and blue-eyed ones (which are cool but expensive.)

A single rainbow needs a minimum of about 50 gallons. They're not actually sharks from what I can remember, minnows maybe? They get about six inches long though.

I hope I do not seem like I am attacking you. I have kept 2 angels in a 40 gallon with minimal problems, they even paired off and laid eggs. I am just warning you that I see some size and compatibility problems.

You could add more mollies, and some cories. Or you can add 2 angelfish and some cories, along with the mollies, as this is what I kept in my 40 gallon for a few years.

Hi, thanks for the reply! Do you know a good place to order angelfish where I could specify gender?

I would also like to know what kind of angelfish to get for my 40 gallon aquarium

It is hard to tell gender until the fish breeds. Most places sell the fish too young to be sexed. I waited until my fish paired off and I saw their breeding tubes. There are tips on sexing angels, but the best bet would to put out a "Want" Ad or to look for a proven pair (a male and a female that have bred before), which can get quite expensive since it would probably have to be shipped. It would prove easier to get 2, that way whatever gender they are you do not have to worry.

It is mainly just color varieties, the only different types are tails. Veiltails have very long fins. I love the Koi variety, but they do not come easily in stores. Most stores carry marbles, yellows, or a "panda". They are all the same size in the end, so you can just pick whichever ones you fancy

Ok, Thanks! I was planning on ordering from liveaquaria.com as soon as I get my tank cycled, (just filled it up today - lol) I was also looking at some ropefish, any ideas on the compatibility of these?

From what I know Ropefish also get fairly large too. Someone had one that was 10 inches and it was still growing. I have not kept them, but I would suggest doing some research on tank size for them.

I just ordered Koi angels from Live aquaria. I will receive them Tuesday! They actually are one of Petco's vendors for fish. Their angel stock goes very very quick, so if there is any you like I would suggest having an email notification set up once your tank is ready.

Back
Top Bottom