Can there ever be too much aeration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all I have a 36 gal tank that I am still setting up, and I have alot of aeration. I have 3 real plants in the tank. I'm posting a link to a video of my tank.. Do I have too much Aeration?
Thanks for the help,
Dan
Here's the link http://youtu.be/2SJpyS8LmQ0

It can be a serious problem for the plants, as they need CO2 to function properly. I'm not sure through you're video. What air pump are you currently using and how many? Also, I heard too much aeration causes quicker evaporation.

I have one air pump its a tetra whisper 40 ..... I have it set up, so that I can turn each air-stone off by a valve should I turn two off?

Well, I suggest using a smaller flow, as a 40 gallon pump is more then enough. Depending on the amount of fish, i use a whisper 20 in my 55 gallon, and it works fine. I have never encountered oxygen level problems. I always have a spare bubble just in case.

Ok ill turn the corner stones off and just jeep the big one in the back on.... So that's three off and one on.... I hope my tank will hurry up and cycle lol I want to put my fish in... I wish I could put nitrites in lol... I have ammonia... And nitrates but no nitrites... I had all the aeration on because I read having high oxygen levels speeds up bacteria growth... But now I added the plants and. Don't want to kill them.
Thanks for all the help.

Ok ill turn the corner stones off and just jeep the big one in the back on.... So that's three off and one on.... I hope my tank will hurry up and cycle lol I want to put my fish in... I wish I could put nitrites in lol... I have ammonia... And nitrates but no nitrites... I had all the aeration on because I read having high oxygen levels speeds up bacteria growth... But now I added the plants and. Don't want to kill them.
Thanks for all the help.
You're welcome. Though, I wouldn't rush the bacteria growth. As to say, the plants my even stall the growth, as they consume ammonia too, the vial source of food for the main bacteria. Just keep the parameter records up to day.

Back
Top Bottom