Can you mix different brands of bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMELO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been using marineland that comes in a bag but I burn through it really fast. I want to switch to a seachem or a big bottle of fluval. I use the recommended doses for weekly maintenance along with a water change.:fish2:

Are you dosing cycled tanks or just for setups? Once a tank is cycled you dont need to add more bacteria.

As far as mixing, I dont see what issue it would cause. Or are you talking about another item, what is the actual name of the product you are using. Dont fall into the belief that you need to use starting bacteria at all, let alone consistently once a tank is established.

I have three well established tanks. The only products I use are seachem prime then I wait 30 minutes and dose fluval bacteria on 2 tanks and marineland bacteria on a tank upstairs. I’ve been doing this for over a year. I thought everyone did this.

Nope. No real pressing need to continue once cycled. The bacteria will thrive on in the substrate and other areas in the tank given good water practices (water changes, steady conditions, etc.)

If you're planted then it's even easier to keep bacteria alive as they work in conjunction with the plants to keep a healthy and happy tank.

Save yourself the money and stop buying the bacteria. I have 4 tanks and never personally used bottled bacteria. Haven't had a cycle crash since I've started 7 years ago.

Alright well it’s the perfect timing I’m all out of bacteria. I’ll see how it goes thank you so much. And yeah I have live plants so I should be alright.

Back
Top Bottom