Canister filter air buildup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I installed my canister filter on my 55 gal about 3-4 weeks ago. It has been working fine and I’ve had no issues, until the other day. I unplugged the filter because I was doing a very large water change. When I plugged the filter back in it seemed to work fine again. However, in the last few days I’ve noticed that every 5-10 minutes or so the filter will make a weird splash kind of sound and then a bunch of small air bubbles will come out of the outtake line into the water. The filter is not leaking and seems to be working fine otherwise. It just doesn’t seem ideal to me for the filter to be doing this.

Should I just unplug it again and plug it back in? It wasn’t doing this before I unplugged it.

In case it matters, the filter is a Marineland 360.

I have the Marineland Magnum 350 ... it is a PITA to keep air out. You have to "burp" the filter to release trapped air after maintenance. <Maybe the water drained down while it was shut off?> And I got cavitation problems in use as well. <What you are describing!>

It is possible that a seal is worn & air get sucked in. this happens even when water doesn't leak out. Check & reseat the main seals - maybe grease it up with some vaseline. If you have the quick connects, check the intake side for any loose seals as well. Also, is the intake in the tank picking up any air? <Airstone, splashing, too high up in the water...>

if the gaskets all look good, give it a gentle shake. I have to shake mine every time i stop them to get the smallest air pockets out or they do that, and thats after priming them

I have the same filter and just installed it today and it does the same thing after I primed it. I thought it wasn't getting enough flow or something else. I stopped it, restarted it after a few minutes and checking inside and it seemed fine. I suppose a gentle shake could be key.

I also have a C-360 and have had this issue. I originally used Aquaphor on the seal (that's what I had to use on my old Magnum, the O-ring on that was free moving though) and when I stopped greasing it up, it stopped. Then when I cleaned it recently, it has started again. As far as I'm concerned, it's not that big of a deal, just a little air. It is a little annoying though. After cleaning it, I fill it up with water before I put the head back on, then after restarting it, I push down on the primer a couple times, then close and open the shutoff valve several times, and give it a jiggle or two. That usually gets rid of it all.

Back
Top Bottom