Cant lower ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a thirty gallon tank that ia cycling right now. And the ph is around 7.8-8.2. I want some Bolivian rams in this tank, so I need a ph Of 6.8-7.2 I have tried ph down with a duluxe ph test kit and have also used buffer tabs. The ph is simply not dropping. Also I want to have some live bearers in there (a few mollies and swordtails) as well as other fish like neon tetras and angels. How much aquarium salt should I add? Thanks, any advice or tips is very much appreciated.

Honestly, in my experience I've learned it's better to have a stable, consistent pH rather than try to mess with it using pH down and other additives. The only time I've messed with it was when I was fishless cycling and used crushed coral to stabilize it. Other than that, I see no reason as fish can adapt to a wide variety of conditions. Just be sure the pH is constant because pH fluctuations are the worst for fish. If you insist, peat, driftwood, and almond leaves are known to lower pH. Hope this helps!

The only time I've messed with it was when I was fishless cycling

Thanks my tank in fishless and still cycling. I am going to try softer water this time. I used water from the hose the first time now I am going to use soft tap water. I heard that helps. Also I will probably try some driftwood. Thanks

I agree with the above advice, stable is best. Also, for future reference I wouldn't use the ph up and down stuff, those things can be a disaster if you're not careful. Crushed coral to raise (and I can't put my finger on how to lower, but a quick forum search might find it) is natural and lasts much longer than just adding chemicals. It also fluctuates less, so it's more stable.

I have a thirty gallon tank that ia cycling right now. And the ph is around 7.8-8.2. I want some Bolivian rams in this tank, so I need a ph Of 6.8-7.2 I have tried ph down with a duluxe ph test kit and have also used buffer tabs. The ph is simply not dropping. Also I want to have some live bearers in there (a few mollies and swordtails) as well as other fish like neon tetras and angels. How much aquarium salt should I add? Thanks, any advice or tips is very much appreciated.
There is a small conflict here. Mollies, and Swordtails do best in harder alkaline water. Angels, and Neons do best in softer more acidic water. Also when the angels grow, they will probably eat the Neons.:facepalm:

I have a larger 55 gallon for when they get biggerr. But the fish are not all set in stone. Will they swords still be happy, I couldnt care if they breed or not.

The Swords will survive possibly in softer water, but will thrive in harder water. They will probably breed no matter what. That's what Swords do best:lol:

Unless your tap water is really high (8.5+) the fish will do just fine. They have all been tank bred and raised in average tap water so are used to it.

Even the rams? I heard they are difficult to keep because they need a neutral ph. Mine is about 7.8 now. And I want them to thrive.

Unless your tap water is really high (8.5+) the fish will do just fine. They have all been tank bred and raised in average tap water so are used to it.

Neons, and Cardinals are almost all still wild caught.
Also watch mollies behavior in hard alkaline water, and in softer lower PH water. Their is a world of difference. Mollies actually do their absolute best in a brackish tank, due to the much harder water, and marine salt content. You don't see near the illness when kept in harder, alkaline conditions.

Try putting some driftwood in tank. The tannins should gradually lower ph. Plus it's natural opposed to adding chemicals to lower ph.

Back
Top Bottom