Cant seem to find info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK my tank is starting over from scratch... i have NOTHING in it...

can I (after cycling) put shrimp and pictus together?

The pictus will eat the shrimp. They like people like a tasty snack.
Thought so... the Pictus will probably eat my 1 remaining Zebra Daino also wont it... **** pictus lol...

What can I put with it... anything that doesnt fit in its mouth right?

I have a 20 gallon...

Fish not interested in;
Angel Fish
Silver Dollars
Gourami's

Nothing wrong with them... just not a fan of how they look...

Is it a 20L? I wouldn't put a pictus in a regular 20. I have one in my 29g and I'd move him to a bigger tank if I had one. They do get pretty big and can be aggressive.

Zeke, my pictus, is about 8" long and is territorial. If any of my other fish come near his caves, he chases them out. The only exception is the khulis. They literally swim on top of Zeke. The other day I had my tank stripped bare to fight algae and Zeke kept biting Chester, my 8"+ raphael cat. I imagine biting a raphael to be equivalent to chewing on golf spikes.

That said, there are a lot of options for pictus tankmates. Your danio may be fine. Pictus have relatively small mouths for their size and danios are very fast fish. I have swordtails, platies, dwarf neon rainbows, khulis, the previously mentioned raphael, and a male betta in with my pictus.

Other suggestions:
- Hatchetfish - Top level swimmers and different, have a good cover on the tank.
- Rosy barbs - just get enough to prevent picking. A pictus' whiskers may look like fun to a bored barb.
- Avoid any bottom swimmers. Let your pictus have his space.

Is it a 20L? I wouldn't put a pictus in a regular 20. I have one in my 29g and I'd move him to a bigger tank if I had one. They do get pretty big and can be aggressive.

Zeke, my pictus, is about 8" long and is territorial. If any of my other fish come near his caves, he chases them out. The only exception is the khulis. They literally swim on top of Zeke. The other day I had my tank stripped bare to fight algae and Zeke kept biting Chester, my 8"+ raphael cat. I imagine biting a raphael to be equivalent to chewing on golf spikes.

That said, there are a lot of options for pictus tankmates. Your danio may be fine. Pictus have relatively small mouths for their size and danios are very fast fish. I have swordtails, platies, dwarf neon rainbows, khulis, the previously mentioned raphael, and a male betta in with my pictus.

Other suggestions:
- Hatchetfish - Top level swimmers and different, have a good cover on the tank.
- Rosy barbs - just get enough to prevent picking. A pictus' whiskers may look like fun to a bored barb.
- Avoid any bottom swimmers. Let your pictus have his space.
20G not 20L
Too small huh... rats.. I saw this crab at my LFS but it says they like sand... so I figured gravel would not be the best for it. Any thought... and if I have a crab... do I need to worry about it eating my fish lol... it says it gets about 2-3"

What kind of crab? Most crabs need somewhere to climb out of the water. If you're interested in invertebrates, have you considered doing a shrimp tank or something similar?

My wife and I have a "whimp" tank set up that I'm planning on adding red cherry shrimp to. We've got 2 pairs of blue metallic guppies (with about 30 babies right now) and 6 panda cories. Guppies and panda cories were chosen because they stay small and aren't supposed to eat RCS.

There are other types of filter-feeding and dwarf shrimp that would be fine with little fish and will fit in your tank too.

It was a fiddler crab.

What about a lobster? I know they generaly prefer to be solitary as they are territorial. Will they eat other fish like neon tetra and rosy barbs?

Fiddler crabs need a place to get out and dry off.

A lobster (crayfish) could work. I've seen a lot of mixed success with crayfish and fish. Some people have no problems, others just end up with a fat lobster by itself.

There are a lot of different crayfish to pick from. LiveAquaria lists a lot of FW inverts. Check out the Viper Shrimp and the Singapore Flower Shrimp. They're both peaceful and get to a reasonable size, but they're a little on the expensive side. Dwarf crayfish may also be suitable.

Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster Now THAT is cool. With a Lobster or Crayfish I need to hav a place for it to hide... like a little cave right?
I do have very high lighting 3.25 WPG will that effect it? I dont wnat to have to get a new light. I eventualy will be adding live plants again.

Here is what I was thinking for my 20G tank
The Cobalt Lobster
5-6 Neon Tetra
5-6 Penguin, red eye, or cardinal Tetra
3-4 Rosy Barb's
2-3 Otto's

Lots of bright color and theya re all peacefull fish... my only worry is will with the Lobster eat the fish lol.

I will next year (probaly around march or so) start buying real plants again once I can scrape the $ together for a pressurized CO2 setup.

Back
Top Bottom