Cardinal/Glowlight tetra in 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kushtre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Iv set up my first 10g aquarium set up and ready to go but im a little unsure of what iv been told i can put in the tank. Generally im seeing that 8-10 fish is the limit for the tank size, so my question is can i have a healthy set up with glowlight tetras and cardinal tetras? Should i also leave room for algea eaters?

the more fish you put in the more work you have to do to keep the nitrate lvl low...
i was stupid to buy all the fish i wanted and my tank is now super over stocked but i do my 30% pwc twice or more a week and is commited to keep this to keep my tank clean

well i just found this exact same post pretty much... should have looked a little harder i guess but i still have a few questions i would like cleared up.

Should i stick with the cardinal tetra or the glowfish tetras? (i see lots of people going against a mix in such a small tank)

Im guessing i can do like 6-7 tetras and a couple algea eaters and thing would be pretty stress free on the fish and the filter?

some people here might kill me for doing this but this is it
i have 12 neon tetras, 6 cory habrosus, 1 ABN pleco, 1 dwarf gourami in my 10 gallon tank...hopefully i will get a bigger tank this year and they should have a bigger room
i do pwc about every 3 days and feed them very little and my nitrate stays below 20 ppm

if you do go for cardinal tetras go for a black background and a darker substrate...they look so much better in dark

woah bro, thats a stocked tank there. You may want to upgrade within the next month rather than year. the most fish i ever put in my 10g was 9, 3/4 of them were neons

i know...right
they have been living like this for a while...
oh..did i mention i also have some mts?
i feel bad and i want to give them more room

I would say even getting just another 10g if you dont plan on upgrading soon and splitting the fish there would be an improvement. Good thing is most of those fish are small. I would get the neons and bn their own small tank and then leave the corys and dwarf gourami in another unless you do upgrade soon then save your money and get a nice large tank.

IMHO BN plecos really don't belong in a 10 gallon. My BN pleco reached nearly 6 inches TL and was cramped in a 20 gallon.

kustre: I'd stick with just a school of tetras for a 10 gallon.

Ya, so this is pretty much silly... i know i want more fish, im just not going about it right. Instead of making a big deal out of getting all this fish in a 10 gallon and having to clean the thing every 3 days, im just going to go with a bigger tank.

i checked prices today, not to bad for a 29 gallon and i think the 55 was like 160 something for the whole kit. Im thinking the beggining of next ill get the 55g tank and start getting materials for it, this time no b/s ill make sure im asking about everything uncertain everytime. Im not in a big hurry, id rather do this right and have room for lots of fish...

...dark gravel you say! I think that sounds like a good idea for sure.

Good idea on the 55 gallon. It will be a lot more enjoyable for you I'm sure. Have you checked out Craigslist? Used tanks are much cheaper if you can find them. My concern about the kit deals is that the equipment that is included is often barely adequate IMO.

If you're anywhere near the metro Atlanta area, I've got a couple 55's for sale with some pretty nice equipment and a stand for a good bit less than those kits. ;)

Dark gravel can look great in your tank, but I'd just like to mention that the Top Fin brand will fade in time and turn sort of gray. If you're ok with that, it's a good cheap option.

Iv been reading some reviews on what these general tanks come with, and im not so much worried with the quality of the equipment which im sure will need to be upgraded before too long, but the quality of the tank itself. I just dont want to get a tank thats going to spring a leak 2 years from now and leave me with a swampy carpet and an empty aquarium full of dead fish.

Thats really nice of you for the offer, unfortunately im... well not unfortunately but inconvientely im located on the central coast over here in california. I will def look on craigslist though now that you mention it...

...and i will avoid that top fin gravel, thanks for the tip. I would rather just pay extra money and get something that will last and look good the whole time!

Well, Eco Complete is a plant substrate, but you don't necessarily need plants to use it and it stays nice and black. Tahitian moon sand also doesn't fade, but man is it a pain to rinse!!!!! Both are made by CaribSea.

As far as the quality of the tanks, I've had Top Fin, All Glass (now Aqueon), Perfecto, etc. and there is no real difference IMO. I think you should really be looking at Craigslist as opposed to buying new if you are on a budget. You can often find tanks with pretty nice equipment included, or if you want the really nice stuff it'll run you about the same price as a new setup from a chain pet store with crap equipment. Just be patient... I've seen incredible deals in CA. :)

Hmmm im seeing lots of SW set ups... big ones... on craigslist. But not too many freshwater.

Not a problem as long as the price is right, you can always convert a SW tank to FW, even the drilled ones with sumps.

ooooo... so im not limited when they are noted as SW tanks??? I guess if anything, converting it might interesting (if not too difficult?) in its own right. Thanks for all the advice by the way, it is very much appreciated!

...hahah theres almost more than i need on craigslist though. People with 180 gallon set ups worth over 1200 a year ago getting sold for 250 bucks now. I just dont have room for something that big... plus im planning on moving out soon so i need to take that in to consideration. Then again... 180g... it makes me wonder.

You're not limited by that at all, you just may end up with equipment that you don't need, like a skimmer. Many SW tanks have overflow boxes and are drilled, and they will have a sump and return pump as well as plumbing. Sumps can hold a ton of bio media, and you can hide your equipment in there, like heaters and stuff.

A standard 180 is 6x2x2. It's quite large and NOT something you want to move once you get it set up. Our 120 4x2x2 is so difficult to move that we ended up leaving it in the room while we painted around it (taped a plastic drop cloth around it first though).

ya i figured anything over 55g was going to be more that i want to deal with. Maybe if i was moving into a house i had just bought...

but anyways, nothing to do now but wait for the money situation to be where it needs to be, which is good as i still am at a loss and a number of things.

Back
Top Bottom