Carey's Happy Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should plant each stalk separately? It was sold in a bunch and I got 3 bunches...

I liked the nana petite, I saw it on that website. :-D

I got the new plants all separated and planted, but it looks horrible! LOL I don't have the plantscaping eye I don't think.

My fish are doing well, they all seem happy. I love that they stay all together, looks so cool.

What other fish can I add? It looks so empty in there. I added 6 glofish to the stocking list on aqadvisor and it says i'd be at 106% stocking, which doesn't seem too bad.

What do you think, can I add glofish or something else? I'm gonna work on picking a plant for my foreground but the fish stocking seems alot easier. :-D

It's been a week or so since I started this tank up and to be honest I am just plain unhappy with it. :-(

The plants are all getting see through like and they are coming out of the substrate. I've tried putting them deep in but to no avail.

I think I am going to forgo the live plants. I don't really enjoy digging around with my hands in the tank re arranging and stuff. Maybe I'm just not a plant kinda person. I don't mind playing around with my live rock in saltwater tanks, but this plant thing is so not for me.

Should I give it more time or just yank out what's in there? I'm figuring on going with some fake but natural looking stuff.

Also, since the tank is stable, 0 amm, trites and 10 trates I was going to add some more fish.

I like the glofish personally but if anyone has any suggestions on what to add that would be great. I have 6 neons right now.

What about a female betta? Or a snail or some shrimp? I just bought another snail this week. Petsmart had them on sale for $1 and I couldn't pass up the deal lol. I got a black mystery snail and he is very cool looking! Any of those would be a good addition to your tank. The question is do you want 2 schools of fish in your tank? Maybe you should get some bottom swimmers or something....just an idea ;)

I'd really like 2 schools of fish, the neons are soo tiny. lol

I'm wanting to put some shrimp and snails in too, but I wanted the fish first. :)

My first non cichlid fw tank, so just bear with me.

Are there any bottom fish that I could get a few of? or something big (for this tank) other than a betta? Colorful would be a big plus!

It's a 10 gallon right? If so i think you're pretty limited as far as bottom dwellers go. I know u dont want a betta but mine is very colorful and swims all over the whole tank. I have 4 cories in my 20. They aren't very colorful but their markings are pretty and they are very active and fun to watch. Not sure if they would work for u though....let us know what u decide! And show more pics too ;)

carey said:
I'd really like 2 schools of fish, the neons are soo tiny. lol

I'm wanting to put some shrimp and snails in too, but I wanted the fish first. :)

My first non cichlid fw tank, so just bear with me.

Are there any bottom fish that I could get a few of? or something big (for this tank) other than a betta? Colorful would be a big plus!

Later on you could get some ottos, but they need better established tanks.

Established as in how? I changed the water and gravel but kept the same filter. I've had this tank up for a couple months. Do otto's eat something special?

carey said:
It's been a week or so since I started this tank up and to be honest I am just plain unhappy with it. :-(

The plants are all getting see through like and they are coming out of the substrate. I've tried putting them deep in but to no avail.

I think I am going to forgo the live plants. I don't really enjoy digging around with my hands in the tank re arranging and stuff. Maybe I'm just not a plant kinda person. I don't mind playing around with my live rock in saltwater tanks, but this plant thing is so not for me.

Should I give it more time or just yank out what's in there? I'm figuring on going with some fake but natural looking stuff.

Also, since the tank is stable, 0 amm, trites and 10 trates I was going to add some more fish.

I like the glofish personally but if anyone has any suggestions on what to add that would be great. I have 6 neons right now.

Glofish are a form of danio, and could really use bigger tanks. Check out Hn1 and severum mama's selection of micro fish. The chili rasboras seem popular. You could do 6 of them, your neons, with 3 ottos and a betta and call it quits. And don't lose hope on the plants, do some more research, and go with fake if you don't feel confident enough. Also research aquascaping and how to do it... There are some great articles that can walk you through it!

carey said:
Established as in how? I changed the water and gravel but kept the same filter. I've had this tank up for a couple months. Do otto's eat something special?

They eat algae, and do an awesome job I might add. They're just sensitive fish. You should be fine, just have some algae wafers and zucchini at hand for them to munch on.

I have anubias nana and java fern in my tank. They're very low maintenance plants and always look good. I did have some amazon sword plants at a point and they looked so terrible I ripped them out. So i understand the frustration LOL. Instead of giving up maybe try easy plants with a mix of fake ones?

I was gonna order more plants for the foreground of the tank but I don't think I'm gonna now. :-( The plants I did buy are anachris(sp?) and it's supposed to be an easy one.

In lieu of plants I'm back on fish. Could I add more neons to the tank? I only have 6...

Also, I like this otto fish, sounds cool...how many of them would I get? 3 maybe?

Sorry for all the questions!

carey said:
I was gonna order more plants for the foreground of the tank but I don't think I'm gonna now. :-( The plants I did buy are anachris(sp?) and it's supposed to be an easy one.

In lieu of plants I'm back on fish. Could I add more neons to the tank? I only have 6...

Also, I like this otto fish, sounds cool...how many of them would I get? 3 maybe?

Sorry for all the questions!

Yes, 3 ottos would be perfect! As for the neons, I think you could, but let's see what some others say. And don't feel so down about it! Your still in the learning stages, so there's no need to worry. Try the anubias, java fern, and java moss. They can grow in very little light. Just attach the moss and anubias to rocks or driftwood, as they're root feeders.

Carey how deep is ur substrate? By the looks of Ur pic, u would be better off increasing it by 1 or 2 more inches! And u should use root tabs and some sort of fertilizers they are do wonders! Don't give up on plants! U are amazing at this hobby! :) and how many watts do ur light fixture have?

And as for the ottos! They are amazing! :) so cute! But they are best in a planted aquarium! And to increase their chances of survival; drip acclimation is the way to go! Ottos are most sensitive towards ph fluctuation and high nitrate lvl! And through research and IME don't bother with algae wafers. They don't even touch it but zucchinis is good! :)

Good luck with whatever decide :)

I used almost the whole bag of substrate, I used the flourite nutrient one for plants. I have two 13w squiggly bulbs.

grrr most of my plants are floating this morning, I either need to replant or remove. I'm still deciding lol.

I will pass on the ottos then if they flourish in a planted tank.

I may just get some more neons, I'm kinda liking how they are almost always schooling. :-D

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!

carey said:
I used almost the whole bag of substrate, I used the flourite nutrient one for plants. I have two 13w squiggly bulbs.

grrr most of my plants are floating this morning, I either need to replant or remove. I'm still deciding lol.

I will pass on the ottos then if they flourish in a planted tank.

I may just get some more neons, I'm kinda liking how they are almost always schooling. :-D

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!

Aww alright! But I hope u come back to planting! But I'm gonna follow along to see what kinda fish u end up getting because I'm having trouble deciding for my own 10g!

LOL. You never know with me, maybe I will try again one day. Glad I only tried it on a 10g. :-D

I may go fish looking today, see if I can get any ideas.

Thanks for following!

Back
Top Bottom