Caribsea Supernatural Black Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabercat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up this sand and it said to do a prewash before putting in the tank. I have pre washed gravel before putting it in a tank, but I have never washed sand before. What are your recommendations on the best way to do this? It says cut two holes in the bag, and stick a hose in one end and let the dirty water exit through the other hole. Is this the best way?

I had regular colored caribsea and I didn't wAsh it at all and it came out amazing. Perfect quality water and perfect sand color. Just an FYI. I dno about black tho

I just put mine in a large bucket and swished the hose around in the sand until the water went clear.

I had the black Tahitian moon sand. Never rinsed it. Then I ran an old whisper 20 filter until the water cleared up. Took no more than a day.

I've rinsed garden sand.. it's messy and takes forever to clear up. Did it with a strainer and bucket, darn near broke my back.

I have Moonsand in one tank, and I didn't wash it. I put floss in the filter and after filling, let the filter run 'til it cleared, think it was about a day or so. Their moonsand is so small grained it will literally float on the water's tension, so washing it is really a pain.

That's what happened to me when I put it in the tank. I have a Fluval Edge so when I put it in, it rose up to the top and sat there for a day.

That's what happened to me when I put it in the tank. I have a Fluval Edge so when I put it in, it rose up to the top and sat there for a day.

Try putting either some layers of newspaper or a large bowl on top of the dry sand, then pour water slowly onto the paper or into the bowl. It spreads out the impact of the water and in the case of paper, actually helps to prevent the stuff floating up so much.

Back
Top Bottom