Catfish tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impolite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a bullhead catfish around 6 inches long in a fifty five gallon tank. Since moving him into such a bigger aquarium, the tank seems so bare except for the minnows and gold fish I have for him to eat.

I was looking at different fish and thought a couple silver dollars would be a great addition to the tank, except I don't currently have a heater set up on it, which they'd need.
I've never had a heater in this tank, I figured that since he was a catfish he was used to cold waters, and he does just fine in it.

I was wondering, would he be fine If I raised his tank from around 72 f to about 79 f

I don't know if this would be bad for him, or if I should try to find a fish that wouldn't need one (except for gold fish and koi/carp (because he eats them))

See that comes back to the part where I wonder if he could handle the water temp change. And I wouldn't get oscars because they compete for food so much, while the catfish takes them as he pleases.

I wouldnt do an oscar in a 55. U could do a severum, or blue acara. I have a sengal bichir and hes pretty cool. I dont know the tank size for them but sabertooth pirayas look cool

phishfriend said:
Was your friends tank bigger? If so and they are both males. It could be a territory thing.

I meant that if there were minnows in the tank, they'd try to get them before he (the catfish) would, because he's a pretty slow guy and comes out at night.

Would big kissing gouramis be fine? Or silver dollars perhaps? I know they're vegetarians So they wouldn't compete for his food.

Back
Top Bottom