Centerpiece fish for 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr.waffles1842 said:
yep. not too too big, but plenty of bioload. amano shrimp will eat poop if hungry enough, but thats never a solution. just keep on doing water changes. oh, and i think i know what your tetra is. gold pristella terta.

It is a pristella tetra?! Oh come on, google images...

I can't say i like these tetras. But they look nice against black substrates.

I am broke and car-less too. I know the feeling. I have Boliviam rams. I bought them instead of Germans because the Bolivians are hardier. They are still sensitive to the nitrate count, but people say they have much better luck with them than with gbr's. I know some people have an easy time with dg's, but I also have avoided them because of the high mortality rate. Don't get scarlet badis. They are difficult to keep too. A pencil fish is a good option. But, I have never kept one so I do not know how hardy they are.

I am broke and car-less too. I know the feeling. I have Boliviam rams. I bought them instead of Germans because the Bolivians are hardier. They are still sensitive to the nitrate count, but people say they have much better luck with them than with gbr's. I know some people have an easy time with dg's, but I also have avoided them because of the high mortality rate. Don't get scarlet badis. They are difficult to keep too. A pencil fish is a good option. But, I have never kept one so I do not know how hardy they are.

Thank you very much! I agree, I will avoid DGs and Badis. It seems that Badis don't accept dry foods very well, which would just be really inconvenient for me!

I wonder if male killifish can be kept singly? I love looking through aquabid just to see the pretty killis!

Also, this is sort of related, I have an Endler breeder tank (20g) and I was wondering if there are nay bottom-feeders I can use a clean-up crew? I'm using mystery snails but they aren't really good at it, and I think the tank is too small for "normal" cories. Or, perhaps the tank is just too small in general for a bottom feeder and lots of Endlers....

Thank you very much! I agree, I will avoid DGs and Badis. It seems that Badis don't accept dry foods very well, which would just be really inconvenient for me!

I wonder if male killifish can be kept singly? I love looking through aquabid just to see the pretty killis!

Also, this is sort of related, I have an Endler breeder tank (20g) and I was wondering if there are nay bottom-feeders I can use a clean-up crew? I'm using mystery snails but they aren't really good at it, and I think the tank is too small for "normal" cories. Or, perhaps the tank is just too small in general for a bottom feeder and lots of Endlers....
Actually, 20g is ok for corys. Julii and panda corys only reach 2 inches, so I would recommend 4-6 of either of those. Most other common cory species (ie. peppered, emerald, bronze) reach 3 inches, so i would only recommend 4 of them, but I think the smaller julii or panda would be better for you. Another option would be 4 kuhli loaches. They reach about 4 inches, are very peaceful, and are great little cleaners. They are skinny and eel-like and have a very small bioload. I have 5 and I LOVE them. I like my corys a lot too. Corys do school, but they are not super tight schoolers, so they do fine in a group of 4 IME. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Actually, 20g is ok for corys. Julii and panda corys only reach 2 inches, so I would recommend 4-6 of either of those. Most other common cory species (ie. peppered, emerald, bronze) reach 3 inches, so i would only recommend 4 of them, but I think the smaller julii or panda would be better for you. Another option would be 4 kuhli loaches. They reach about 4 inches, are very peaceful, and are great little cleaners. They are skinny and eel-like and have a very small bioload. I have 5 and I LOVE them. I like my corys a lot too. Corys do school, but they are not super tight schoolers, so they do fine in a group of 4 IME. :)

Are kuhlis ok with gravel? I used to have gravel with my cories but after switching to eco-complete they are so much more active.

Are kuhlis ok with gravel? I used to have gravel with my cories but after switching to eco-complete they are so much more active.
Yeah, they are. I have kuhlis and gravel. Just make sure you bury your decor deep into the substrate so they wont try too hard to dig under it and then get stuck. Give them some caves and hiding places and they will be fine. :)

After doing some research I found that the risk of a DG dying is too high for me to consider them, pearl gouramis might be too shy. I think my crazy harlequin rasboras might scare it (my harlequins are crazy active, honestly. I thought they would school! Next time I will change them for black neons or something).

I am considering the GBR but their die-off rate is also a turn off for me. I just can't order fish only to have them die soon after, and not because my water quality is bad :(

I would like a BNP, but I think it would compete too much with my otos and shrimp for the limited algae I have.

And I'm just about out of ideas before turning to cichlids, which I have never kept! I'm a little nervous about trying them! But I've heard of peaceful convicts and firemouths.

I am considering kuhli loaches for my gravel-substrate 20g but ONLY if they do not eat fry. I think they are more of a danger to fry than cories are, yes? Ohh but they look so cool! Any tips on keeping them too? Any favorite foods they like? They are also quite cheap on Aquabid. I wonder what their hardiness is? My water is super alkaline and hard so I'm always worried that fish won't like my water :( But so far I haven't lost a single specimen I have stocked.

And thank you to everyone for your posts!!!

Well, IME, kuhlis are actually pretty hardy as long as they go into a well-established tank. A 29g is small for those cichlid species you pointed out. Also, I wasn't entirely sure what you meant, so I am saying this even though you probably know it, but those cichlids are not community dwellers. You have VERY limited options if you choose that route.
Also, you rasbora will school if you put something bigger than them in ythe tank. I think they would be fine with a peal gourami, but thats up to you. Gbr are often difficult to keep. Bolivian rams are an option that behave similar, but are hardier.
I have never had an issue with my kuhlis eating fry. Their mouths are ridiculously small, and they are scavengers by nature, not hunters. Mine prefer shrimp pellets to any other food.

Well, IME, kuhlis are actually pretty hardy as long as they go into a well-established tank. A 29g is small for those cichlid species you pointed out. Also, I wasn't entirely sure what you meant, so I am saying this even though you probably know it, but those cichlids are not community dwellers. You have VERY limited options if you choose that route.
Also, you rasbora will school if you put something bigger than them in ythe tank. I think they would be fine with a peal gourami, but thats up to you. Gbr are often difficult to keep. Bolivian rams are an option that behave similar, but are hardier.
I have never had an issue with my kuhlis eating fry. Their mouths are ridiculously small, and they are scavengers by nature, not hunters. Mine prefer shrimp pellets to any other food.

Great advice, thanks a lot! I'm pleased, I don't want to go with a cichlid anyway ;)

Pearl gouramis and Bolivian rams are repeated in several related threads, so there must be a reason why people like them so much.

Great advice, thanks a lot! I'm pleased, I don't want to go with a cichlid anyway ;)

Pearl gouramis and Bolivian rams are repeated in several related threads, so there must be a reason why people like them so much.
Yeah, I love my Bolivians. Pearl gouramis are a species I would really like to own someday as well. However, the kuhlis are some my favorite fish in my tank. So fun to watch since they are so unique.

OH, I know these fish should not be kept singly but threadfin rainbows are sooo purdy!

Back
Top Bottom