Changed my mind. Going fishless, how to dose ppm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. After scrounging the forums for the past hour I've decided to go down the fishless cycle route. I'm currently parked outside of my ace hardware and I just picked up pure janitorial strength ammonia. My question is how would I dose the correct amount throughout the cycle. Not really sure about PpM units and I'm new to the hobby. It's a 75 gallon aquarium standard. Any help during this fishless cycle would be appreciated. Ok my way to pick up an API master testing kit. Hopefully we get some responses by the time I get home!
Brandon

i just dosed my 29 gal tank and it took ~5ml of the ammonia to get to 4ppm. I would try 10ml and then test.

I just dropped sinking pellet food while I cycled my 10gal. Pellet a day at first and reduced once amm stated to develop . everything cycled in under 3 weeks. I don't think there is a point in chasing for exact figures. It not going to be faster or slower if it 4 or 4.1 or 5.2 ppm. Just "feed" your tank a bit and let things run their course.

You should really wait around an hour to check after dosing, probably even longer on a tank that big. I would add in 5-8 ml, and then test an hour or two later. Then dose accordingly.

Also, the API kit is usually cheaper on ebay or amazon, so if you haven't bought it yet you might save 20$ there.

Back
Top Bottom