Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

changed my substrate. hob filter broke. Will tank need to cycle again

Yesterday I changed out the substrate in my danio/tetra tank from a brown river pebble type substrate to black sand. Doing this I wasn't too worried about messing up my cycle because I had the bacteria in the filter plus all the bacteria on the plants, large rocks, decor etc. and I'm planning on dosing with stability all this week to help build back up the bacteria I lost from changing substrate.

My problem is this afternoon not even 24 hours after changing my substrate my hob filter broke! I managed to fix it, but it was down for about an 2 hours with no water flow going through it.

So I'm worried this might have to cause my tank to recycle as I might have lost the bacterial colonies in the filter as well as my substrate bacteria.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the water parameters and dose with stability, but I was just wondering people's opinion of do you think this is going to cause my tank to have to re-cycle?? I just want to I have a better idea of what to expect.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Beneficial bacteria will be ok for 2 or 3 hours if allowed to dry out, 2 or 3 days if kept wet, and 2 or 3 weeks if water is kept circulating through the media but with no food source (ammonia).

Daily water parameter checks are needed in the short term, followed up with water changes if you see ammonia or nitrite. Perhaps add some biological booster like seachem stability or dr tims one and only as a precaution.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your filter and bacteria are just fine. Hundreds of thousands of filters have power failures everyday for hours and days and they come up and everything is just fine. Bacteria is very tough to kill. Keeping the media wet it can survive days and weeks without issue.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Your filter and bacteria are just fine. Hundreds of thousands of filters have power failures everyday for hours and days and they come up and everything is just fine. Bacteria is very tough to kill. Keeping the media wet it can survive days and weeks without issue.
That's true I've had power outages for at least half a day before and didn't have an issue. I was looking for reassurance thank you fishwonder and Aiken drum.

Tags
ate, change, changed, cycle, filter, hob, hob filter, substrate, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com