Choosing Tank Size and Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedj

Aquarium Advice Regular
With a properly set up tank (proper heater, etc), how sensitive will it be to location as far as temperature and/or ambient sunlight?

I'm new to this and starting from scratch. Fish will be beginner fish, Red Minor Tetras and Black Skirt Tetras have been recommended, but I'm far from choosing at the moment. I'm not sure what size the tank will be (will be looking for advice there, too), but want to get it big enough so that it's easier to maintain a relatively stable environment (however big that is). The larger it gets, though, the fewer options I have for placement. Some of the areas I have as choices get afternoon sun, which can significantly change the temperature in the room. Sometimes I can see swings of 15°-20° from morning to afternoon. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks,
Mike

that would be a issue but a 29 gallon is a good starter size but if possible to find diffrent place for it would be nice

I'm sure this depends on the type of fish, but assuming some tetras for the moment, what is the target temperature and, more importantly, what amount of swing in temperature is acceptable on a regular basis?

Mike

mikedj said:
I'm sure this depends on the type of fish, but assuming some tetras for the moment, what is the target temperature and, more importantly, what amount of swing in temperature is acceptable on a regular basis?

Mike

Target temp is around 22 to 25? And even the hardiest fish will get stressed out with any significant even moderate swing in temp

Back
Top Bottom