Clay pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcalmob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie here! I just put a few small clay pots in my 10 gallon tank yesterday. Today the water is an orange hue. I have read clay pots are safe. Will the orange water clear up on its own? I do not want to harm our 3 goldfish. This is our first tank. Any advice appreciated.

Hold up.... You have 3 goldfish in a 10g tank? What kind of goldfish are these?

And sorry to be off topic but I can't help it. Unfortunately I know nothing about the pots.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Hold up.... You have 3 goldfish in a 10g tank? What kind of goldfish are these?

And sorry to be off topic but I can't help it. Unfortunately I know nothing about the pots.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Probably just some dust from the pots. Water change will clear it up.

That's not really important though. What is important is 3 goldfish in a 10g tank.

Look at this for size:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428352643.893299.jpg

A single goldfish need minimum a 30g tank. 10g more for each added goldfish.

Reason why:
1. Goldfish get quite large, all species of Goldie's do.

2. Goldfish are messy. They eat very messy and poop quite a bit.

I would seriously consider upgrading your tank or returning them and trying different stock.

Here is a stocking generator to help you figure out what you want without overdoing it:

Www.aqadvisor.com

Have you read about cycling the tank?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

re:clay pots

Thanks for the replies. My goldfish are new and very small. One is from a carnival 2 weeks ago and the other 2 are from the pet store 1 week ago. We will upgrade tank as needed. I appreciate the feedback!

I would shoot for a 55g and they will have plenty of space to grow freely and your nitrates won't bud up as fast. Also you could add a dojo loach to the 55g if you wanted. They are coldwater loaches and my absolute favorite. Very very VERY active and playful. Mine eat out of my hand.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428361437.804180.jpg
My adult one
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428361465.438472.jpg
And the new baby one.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom