Cleaning a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my girlfriend brought home a used 55 gal tank that was sitting in her dads basement for a long time. I assume I'll take a razor and scrape off all the old sealant and apply new. But what's the best way to get all the white calcium looking deposits off the glass? I was assuming some light bleach water and a scrubbing pad would take it off but no such luck. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412726000.333630.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412726011.643120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412726022.645505.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh and also what type of paint do most people use to repaint the wood frame? Any?

I would be careful with paints on an aquarium...and reseal it carefully look it up online and let it sit dry for a while to let the silicone cure.

Try 10% vinegar 90% water in spray bottle for the calcium deposits.

cola will help desolve the calcium so it can be wiped out easy

looking at the pict again between time and labor and trying to get that tank back in shape
resealing it cleaning it ect and no guarantee it will leak or clean up very well
that tank looks to have seen better days
it may be cheaper to buy a new tank at petco $1 a gal sale 55 gal tank $55.

Definitely vinegar. The cola works because it is acidic, but so is vinegar and with fewer odd ingredients. Baking soda is a good scrub too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yah I may just get rid of it or use it to grow plants or some thing else. I want a 75 gal planted discus display and I would like to start getting into salt water eventually. I'll have a use for it some where.

I just gave a guy a 55 gallon 30-40 yr old tank. He water tested it and it didn't need resealing. I'd take that tank in the yard and water test it. It might not need resealing. ( Mine was also kept in a basement)

Vinegar will get rid of the white scale.

When you water test it just add 4 big jugs of vinegar and put the glass top panels inside the tank to soak.

Best of luck.

Newer tanks don't have the same sturdy thick glass that the old tanks do. Also, metal framework is prolly better quality too.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Don't reseal if it isn't necessary and do use vinegar as suggested, although you won't need jugs worth.
However, if you decide to leak test, whether in the yard or anywhere else, the tank needs to be placed as if permanent. That is, on a solid, flat surface, preferably level.

Well I wanted to update you guys on the progress of my 55, it's coming along nicely! I ended up getting some GE silicon 1 clear and resealing it. I also got some valspar and painted the trim then clear coated it in gloss. I let it sit for a good week and filled it up, no leaks! I got some over spray in it but I added a small bottle of white vinegar and got most of the calcium off and all the paint with some scraping, when its dry you can see some around the top but when it's filled you can't see it.

ATTACH]255600[/ATTACH]ATTACH]255596[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826263.560507.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826296.224133.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826339.638792.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826246.051451.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826246.051451.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 59
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826444.006917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415826444.006917.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom