Cleaning black sandblasting sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got 40lbs. of black sandblasting sand for my new 29 gallon tank and I have a couple questions.

Q1: Since I'm doing a fish less cycle and it could take sometime should I clean my sand or could I just put it in the aquarium and let it clear up over time?

Q2: What's the best way to clean sand?

Is it in a plastic bag or one of the paper-y ones? (Sorry I have never used that sand, but knowing what type of bag it's in will help me LOL)

Is it in a plastic bag or one of the paper-y ones? (Sorry I have never used that sand, but knowing what type of bag it's in will help me LOL)

Not sure. Ordered it on eBay. Haven't gotten it yet.

Ah okay. I'll tell you what I do for my sand. (It's the sand from the pet store in plastic bags)

Cut the corners off the bag on the top so there are small holes. I put the bags in a plastic bucket incase they tip over. Use a hose and put it in one corner, turn the water on, and make sure the excess water flows out the other hole. Use the hose and swish the sand around so all the small floaty pieces come out. Every once in a while dump the water out (make sure not to dump the sand out!!) and do it again. I do this for 5-10 mins, and I have never had cloudy water after putting the sand in :)

I just got 40lbs. of black sandblasting sand for my new 29 gallon tank and I have a couple questions.

Q1: Since I'm doing a fish less cycle and it could take sometime should I clean my sand or could I just put it in the aquarium and let it clear up over time?

Q2: What's the best way to clean sand?

I just switched my tanks over using that same sand. I found that it has some kind of oil on it, and needs extra rinsing. I did mine one bowl at a time. I took a big mixing bowl, and filled it half way with the sand. Then I put it under the faucet, and let water flow over it while I mixed with my hand. I took about 5 minutes per bowl. The hotter the water, the quicker the oils rinsed away. Looks amazing now!

I just switched my tanks over using that same sand. I found that it has some kind of oil on it, and needs extra rinsing. I did mine one bowl at a time. I took a big mixing bowl, and filled it half way with the sand. Then I put it under the faucet, and let water flow over it while I mixed with my hand. I took about 5 minutes per bowl. The hotter the water, the quicker the oils rinsed away. Looks amazing now!

Thank you! I will try that!

I got 100lbs of the black sandblasting sand not too long ago. I attempted to rinse it in a bucket in my bathtub but that worked like crap. I decided that my best bet was to throw it in a rubbermaid tote and hose it out which worked wonders. I would suggest rinsing small quantities of sand at once.. maybe no more than 10 lbs at a time.

I rinsed my sand today. I used a 3 gallon bucket to rinse 25lbs of the 40lbs. I put it in the tank after rinsing it and its still a little cloudy. Ill post a pic when I get a chance, but what's the best way to get rid of the cloudiness???

Here is pic of the cloudiness. Sorry about the glare.

Attachments

• image-2292431758.jpg
    image-2292431758.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 53
The sand will take a little while to clear up but it will. Even when you rinse all the sand prior to adding it. Give it a day and it will settle nicely. Once it settles and u decide to change water it may stir up again unless you go easy with the water pressure. It will also happen with adding wood. As long as you rinse off a few times or soak wood empty and soak again prior to adding you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom