Cleaning filter cartridge during cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnmukhra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it ok to rinse or replace the filter cartridge while my aquarium is cycling? I am currently into my third week of cycling with fishes. I have an Aqueon Power Filter 20 HOB. It came with my aquarium. The power filter has a thing called a bio-holster that the cartridge fits into. It says in the instructions to never clean the holster as this is where the beneficial bacteria is kept. It says I should replace the filter cartridge every 4-6 weeks.

I noticed the water was pouring over the cartridge so I suspect it needs to be rinsed. I was just wondering if it would be ok to rinse it while my tank is cycling? Not sure if anyone of you guys have an Aqueon Power Filter and is familiar with the bio-holster?

I'm not familiar with the bio-holster, but rinsing it would be fine IF you do it with dechlorinated, room temperature water. Old tank water during a water change would be ideal. You don't want to kill off any bacteria that have colonized on the filter media.

Agreed... I would NOT replace the cartridge till the tank is completely cycled... but rinsing the gunk out of it is OK.

I have the same type of filter. DO NOT CLEAN IT WITH TAP WATER! There should be two parts to the filter cartridge. A bio-trap and a carbon fiber type filter. The fiber type filter is replaceable , but during a cycling i would not replace it. I would:

If you have a siphon tube with the gravel sweeper on it , use it to rinse the filter out. Dont clean the gravel while you do it , as there is a lot of debris that you will clean from it that can just add to the problem.

Another way, make sure you have a clean bucket. Something that has NEVER been used with any kind of chemicals. After you have taken some of the water from the tank into the bucket, take the carbon fiber filter out of the filter it self, and put it in the bucket, swishing it around to get as much of the muck out as you can.

if you use tap water to clean it, the bacteria you have in the filter will be eliminated. Everything you do to clean the filter should be only cleaned with the water from the tank so you keep as much of the bacteria that you can.

dont touch it when cycling period. there is no reason to clean it. the only reason they say to change it is to sell more media. i been using the same sponges for years just clean them in old tank water.

That was one of the threads that I started, about replacing the cartridge or not? ANd here I was adviced not to replace it but to rinse it in the old water when I do my pwc...Here is my situation...I did that this past Sat. Yesterday, 2 of my fish died!!! The ammonia level was 1.0!!! What did I do wrong? Thinking back, after rinsing the cartridge, I didn't place it back in the filter right away...I got sidetracked looking for some info about the cartridge so I wonder if I killed the good bacteria and now my tank is going thru a new cycling period and that is why my fish are dying!!!! I can't believe it!!! I thought that I was finally "getting it" and now...Any thoughts????

did the cartridge dry out? if so, then you probably killed that bacteria. rinsing in old tank water wont do much of anything to the bacteria colony, so it had to have been something else (like drying out)

Can it dry in 5 minutes??? I know it was soaked when I put it back in...I don't know what to think...I am really confused...I called a little store that specializes in tropical fish and they told me to take a sample of my water... :(

really think making anothre thread with all the info would be the most helpful for you marina.

Back
Top Bottom