Cleaning filter cartridges and wellwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meBNme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have well water.
From the tap it is:
6.8 PH
0 ammo
0 trItes
20 to 30 trAtes

Should I still use old tank water to clean the filter cartridges or can I use the faucet without eliminating the good bacteria/harming the biofilter?

I can get them so much cleaner with the faucet and have to clean them less often.

I know city water is a no no, because the clorine and other crap destroy the bio. But what about this?

I always clean my sponge with tank water. I can get most of the particles out with the tank water and the sponge looks relatively cleaner.

I think so. If you have 2 cartridges clean them a few days apart.

Cartridges are hard to get really clean. I hose my off then put them in a bucket with 5-10% bleach over night. hose them off let them airout. Put my other set in the filter. I have plenty of other bio in my sump.

Its always best to 'clean' your filter in the aquarium water you remove when you do pwc's. It preseves and maintains the bacteria.

I rinse my filters at the same time we're doing water changes. The flow from the Python into the sink provides me with a strong flow of tank water and the filter media comes pretty clean.

Great idea LyndaB!
Thanks!

Why didn't I think of that???

Back
Top Bottom