Cleaning filter during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently at the second stage of a fishless cycle on my 55 gallon. Ammonia is converting within 12 hours at this point, just waiting for nitrites to start going down. I've noticed twice today that my canister (Fluval 305) was working very loud for a while and the flow is decreased, so I'm wondering if there is a buildup of gunk inside that is obstructing the flow. Would it be a good idea to open it up and rinse the media in tank water, or am I risking disturbing all the new bacteria?

Definitely a slight risk of reducing the BB but may be worth it if the filter is clogged. I would at least open it and check it out.

Definitely a slight risk of reducing the BB but may be worth it if the filter is clogged. I would at least open it and check it out.

Thanks. I opened it up and there was nothing much to clean. So I took out a bag of carbon and put it straight in the tank instead and the flow is back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom