cleaning my 2 fluval fx5's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay for all you fx5 owners I need some advice. How often do you clean the filters?? I have biomax in all my trays along with the pads around the trays. My filter is fine right now but I was just curious.

I don't have the Fx5 but I have a 206. I clean about once a month, I'll wring out the media in old tank water during a water change to get the gunk out and I'll take off the hoses and clean the inside with a long pipe cleaner type thing.

librarygirl said:
I don't have the Fx5 but I have a 206. I clean about once a month, I'll wring out the media in old tank water during a water change to get the gunk out and I'll take off the hoses and clean the inside with a long pipe cleaner type thing.

Hmm I don't know much if they make a pipe cleaner as long as the hoses that are on mine lol probably close to 3-4ft hoses! I guess ill just disconnect them, clean the pads in tank water and rinse maybe a tray at a time for biomax. I heard its not wise to rinse all 3 trays out at once as you could wipe out all the bacteria

Big fish - clean every week or every other week.
Small fish - clean every third week.

The more often you do it, the healthier your fish will be.

Terrance said:
Big fish - clean every week or every other week.
Small fish - clean every third week.

The more often you do it, the healthier your fish will be.

Small fish :) okay so I guess it'll be good to clean em now.. how do u clean yours?? All trays at once?

Yeah i clean everything while trying to keep them wet and not touching chlorinated water.

Terrance said:
Yeah i clean everything while trying to keep them wet and not touching chlorinated water.

Interesting lol guess I'll try n figure that one out haha, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom