Cleaning Rock - Testing... My Progress.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I've decided I really want to add some rock to my 29gallon tank for a more natural look and create more hiding places for my fish. I found several pieces... some I know are just a concrete type mixture and others I have no idea. I soaked everything in 1:20 bleach:water ratio for an hour. Then I rinsed everything off and did an ammonia test using the ammonia test kit bottles. Nothing fizzed so I proceeded to boil each piece for 5 minutes submersed then to soak in another 30gallon container of hot water with dechlorinator. All the knowledge I have aquired on these forums have led me this far.

Are there any forseeable problems with my plans? After the dechlorinator soak they should be okay? Should I soak again?

Thanks

Well I added the rocks this afternoon and everything seems to be calm. Quite a bit of bubbles coming up out of the rocks but that has stopped now. I did an ammonia test and everything checks out okay right now. I will do another test tomorrow.

I did do the fizz test and nothing bubbled so I shouldn't have a PH problem. The boiling and soaking in de-chlorinated water should have helped to remove ALL of the bleach residue.

I'll keep you guys posted. I hope to have pictures soon.

Thanks.

I just the methods I found online.... calcium tests with ammonia/scratching - Bleach/Boil/Soak

I have added pictures to my gallery. Still waiting to be approved.

I was just wondering if you checked to see if the KH of the water you were soaking them in went up.. or stayed the same..

fulltank3.JPG

Actually I didn't do the KH test... but I do have really high hardness already so they are use to it.

Back
Top Bottom