Cleaning Sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was wondering what the best way to rinse off sand before putting it into a tank was?? Best way? Quickest way??

Fill a 5 gallon bucket about a 3rd of the way up and stick a hose in it and let it keep over flowing till its good and rinsed plus stir it as your doing it and that will help.

Use an old pillow case plus the 5g bucket. I would only do smaller batches at time because wet sand is quite heavy & awkward to lift up into a tank from the floor. :)

I used a pillow case and the shower to rinse it. I then brought it to the tank, used a cup and slowly put the cup facing up to the bottom of the tank and dumped it over. No cloudiness for me.

fadetoblack06 said:
I used a pillow case and the shower to rinse it. I then brought it to the tank, used a cup and slowly put the cup facing up to the bottom of the tank and dumped it over. No cloudiness for me.

Yeah but how much sand did u clean?? Ill be doing close to 200lbs lol seems like it would take a very long time, however, is a great idea

You have to be careful with how much water you put in there though for displacement and your decorations. I did have water and turned the filter and heater off till it was done.

I pre rinsed mine in a 5g bucket. Then put in in the tank. As it filled I noticed it was still murky so I ran a siphon out of my window while a Water hose was filling it. And just kept spraying the sand with water while it syphoned

fadetoblack06 said:
You have to be careful with how much water you put in there though for displacement and your decorations. I did have water and turned the filter and heater off till it was done.

So you think i should unplug both of my filters and heater while putting the sand into the tank??

I would the filter for sure.as long as your heater is below the fill to here line you'll be fine with it plugged in. I was just being extra careful because I didn't have the extra cash for a replacement heater and my eBay special didn't show up yet for my spare.

fadetoblack06 said:
I would the filter for sure.as long as your heater is below the fill to here line you'll be fine with it plugged in. I was just being extra careful because I didn't have the extra cash for a replacement heater and my eBay special didn't show up yet for my spare.

Well I have a fully submersible titanium heater, does that matter?

fadetoblack06 said:
As long as it stays submersed it will be fine. You should take before and after pics too.

What would happen If i didn't rinse the sand before adding? Rinsing it seems alot easier in my head and more do-able, not so much now :/

Well rinsing it gets out any left over chemicals and also keeps it clumped together so it doesn't cloud the water and have all the sand floating in the tank.

fadetoblack06 said:
Well rinsing it gets out any left over chemicals and also keeps it clumped together so it doesn't cloud the water and have all the sand floating in the tank.

Okay, what's an easier way to do this?? My sink and tank are about 4ft apart, I don't have any plastic tubs or 5 gal buckets, I just moved

Back
Top Bottom