Cleaning Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is rather complicated but here we go.

I have a 10gl that has been through a lot. It is still cycled and doing good. I had a fungus in there and left it empty about 2 1/2 weeks when I moved out all that was left in the tank a single snail and put him in our 55gl tank we cycled. I did a good PWC and cleaned the gravel and put a Betta in there. He is the only thing in the tank. The Betta is healthy and the fungus is obviously gone now. If the Betta did not do well I was going to rip down the tank and gut it, clean it and dry it out and start over. So far all is well.

Yesterday I wanted to change the gravel in the tank. The tank had a lot of gravel in it and I wanted to replace it with another color and a very thin layer. I also wanted to clean off the fake plants in there and add another decoration that was smooth that would be good for the Betta to hide behind. I figured this tank has been running for several months it could use a cleaning anyways.

I have never cleaned a tank out. From my reading and education I had a basic idea of what not to do. I am going to go through what I did. Tell me if I could of done something better.

1) Took a 1 gallon bucket filled it half way with water from the 10gl tank and placed the Betta in there and put a plate over the top so he didnt bail out while I was away cleaning.
2) I unplugged the heater and filter.
3) I used the gravel vac to suck the water out. I got the 5gl bucket half full and rinsed out the filter in the tank water in the bucket. I did not rinse off the other mesh filter pad that lays next to the filter. I figured I would leave all the bacteria on that.
4) I put the filter back in the filter housing that was still full of water as I finished draining the tank, with a few inches of water left I used a alge pad on the tank to wash all the sides and clean up the glass.
5) Dumped all the water and took out the gravel.
6) Threw away the gravel (not a color at all I want anymore)
7) Emptied out the water from the filter housing, removed it from the tank and the heater.
8 ) Took the tank to the bathroom and rinsed it out well in the tub. Took me 5minutes. I knew I had to hurry for the filter bacteria!
9) Put the tank back on my bookcase
10) I had a 1 gallon bucket full of water and treated ready to go for my filter. I right away put the filter back on the tank and filled the filter with water.
11) I then filled the bottom with my washed new gravel I wanted.
12) Filled the tank half full with treated water and arranged the fake plants in a corner for the Betta and added decorations.
13) Filled the tank full
14) Put the heater back in.
15) Turned everything on

A few hours later added the Betta back in, I put some water from the tank in the bucket with him and let him get use to the water. I am sure the water in his bucket cooled a little compared to his tank. Put him back in and he is happy as can be in there. He likes his new hiding places.

I know the gravel holds good bacteria and I removed that. I am hoping the filter has enough bacteria to keep the tank cycled.

Do you think I will have a mini cycle?

Could I of done something different?

Not only does the gravel hold nitrifying bacteria, but so do the decor and glass. You may see a little mini-cycle. Shouldn't be too bad with just a betta in there.
I wouldn't have rinsed the tank with tap water. In the future, try staging your cleaning. Filter one week, glass two weeks later, plants another two weeks later... That way you leave most of the bacteria in there.
It's nice to have a really clean tank, isn't it? I just got a mag-float, sounds like you might like one. Keeps the glass super clean and doesn't require such a large undertaking to do it.
So where are the pics of the new 'scape?? :)

The only thing that I might add to what justrelax said, If you had a lot of gravel in the tank, you might have switched out half at a time.

And Welcome to AA!!!!!!!

Okay why not.

this is the 10gl several months ago. I kept the plastic plants.

img_748612_0_f0127fa4be7e3cfbbc6dfdab969b894b.jpg

This is what I did to it. I wanted the rock to match my 55gl. My 6yr old loves the child look, I like the adult look. We are making it work LOL I am going to replace the plastic plants in a week or two once the tank settles down from being cleaned. I know the plants have good bacteria left on them and dont want to change them in a hurry after a huge tank cleaning.

img_748612_1_3e4cd09f9fe89a656b2f3f2a78b5e9f4.jpg

This is my 55gl, not the best pic but you can see it.

img_748612_2_b370fdc0867006fef031e5cb888d4b78.jpg

While I was taking pics, my most friendly spotted pictus came out to say hi. He likes to come to people. The other two like to hide. :) This is the pictus that loves to mess with my snail. He doesnt hurt the snail but he will swim very tight circles around the snail and rub his belly on his shell. Its cute.

img_748612_3_c93d0a923d85e1f32fdc1c65a04f7ee2.jpg

This is our snail Gary

img_748612_4_a267a481b4b4b6c812108e79cadf2d20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom