Closer to starting the cyclig process!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
So grateful to my mom who suggested I go to my local thrift stores to find something to put my 10 gal aquarium on. Went today on my lunch break and found a small table that can one day be re-finished and make a nice bed side table (if needed) once I am one day able to upgrade to a bigger tank. Best part... Only paid $3.50 for it! The wood itself Wasn't in the best condition and had some scratches but hey, I figured that's gonna happen anyway and it was dirt cheap! Now all I need is to decide between gravel or sand and get that purchased then I'll be ready to set it up! So excited!

Well are you planning to get some catfish? If you are, i would suggest sand so that it wont damage their barbels.plus sand is easier to clean.

I'm still debating. I had catfish before and loved having them, but with my tank being a smaller one I'm on the fence about it.

The only catfish you could do in a ten is maybe a small Cory species. Most other catfish are to active and get too big

Make sure the table can support the weight, a full 10 gal is about 100 lbs.. and I would go with sand easier to clean since its course the poop and uneaten food would just sit on top and you can just suck it up with the siphon unlike gravel where it can get inbetween each pebble.. corys are great btw

Yea and remember if you get sand and siphon it, dont directly touch it. Or you will ruin the subtrate AND the siphon.

The sand got clogged in it, i tried everything to get it out, but i couldnt, neither could petsmart.

If u use sand u should hold the siphon 1/2" - 1" above the substrate. There will be enough suction to just suck it all up. You don't want to disturb the sand too much. Sand is so nice in fish tanks!

Balashark said:
Yea i ruined that siphon. I had it right on the sand

It must have been the type of sand.. some sand clump up when they are dry.. I've been using sand for a while nvr had a problem with any of my of my siphons clogging

Back
Top Bottom