Cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All!

KK, so my tank is almost recycled(or finishing after a stall im not sure) none the less, my water is fairly cloudy, ive been looking into seacham clarity, anyone have any experience with this product? or anyone have any other advice?

This could be a bacteria bloom, it could be floating substrate as my carbon always seems to be full of florite/sand, i dunno, but its like a whitish milky haze(cloud)

Hello All!

KK, so my tank is almost recycled(or finishing after a stall im not sure) none the less, my water is fairly cloudy, ive been looking into seacham clarity, anyone have any experience with this product? or anyone have any other advice?

This could be a bacteria bloom, it could be floating substrate as my carbon always seems to be full of florite/sand, i dunno, but its like a whitish milky haze(cloud)
It sounds like a bacterial bloom alright. There's not a lot you can do to clear it quickly. A UV steriliser is the only thing that will clear it up quickly(24hrs). It's harmless, very common in new set-ups and should clear up in 2-3wks. Seachem clarity or any other products will not clear it up. It's a type of bacteria that causes it, can't remember the name.
Keep your lights to a minimum, off if possible. If you have an air bubbler, run that too. Does it look like this??.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/bacterial-bloom-237584.html

It sounds like a bacterial bloom alright. There's not a lot you can do to clear it quickly. A UV steriliser is the only thing that will clear it up quickly(24hrs). It's harmless, very common in new set-ups and should clear up in 2-3wks. Seachem clarity or any other products will not clear it up. It's a type of bacteria that causes it, can't remember the name.
Keep your lights to a minimum, off if possible. If you have an air bubbler, run that too. Does it look like this??.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/bacterial-bloom-237584.html

Yep, that firms that up, its a bloom : (. Im actually using the 29 gallon bio cube so i dont know if i can use a uv sterilizer since its all one contained unit, but ill look into one, and i wont bother with clarity if it doesnt help with bloom, but ill keep an eye on it, my readings are like, ammonia 0 - .25
nitrite 0 - .25
nitrate 10-20
Readings range a little depending on when/if i fed fish that and and so on and so forth but tank has been running roughly 5 weeks and has live plants(so i must get atleast 8 hours of light in tank) but ill try to be patient, just odd my tank would cloud up 4 weeks in, i assumed a bacteria bloom would have happened sooner than a month into cycling

Yep, that firms that up, its a bloom : (. Im actually using the 29 gallon bio cube so i dont know if i can use a uv sterilizer since its all one contained unit, but ill look into one, and i wont bother with clarity if it doesnt help with bloom, but ill keep an eye on it, my readings are like, ammonia 0 - .25
nitrite 0 - .25
nitrate 10-20
Readings range a little depending on when/if i fed fish that and and so on and so forth but tank has been running roughly 5 weeks and has live plants(so i must get atleast 8 hours of light in tank) but ill try to be patient, just odd my tank would cloud up 4 weeks in, i assumed a bacteria bloom would have happened sooner than a month into cycling
IMO, it's not really worth getting a UV sterilizer for a bloom. They can be used continuously of course but good maintenance will keep blooms at bay. If your getting Nitrates, your cycled. It would be a good idea to up your water changes. Try a 50/70% and see does that help with the Ammonia and Nitrites. Obviously, you need the lights on, it will clear, just a little slower....

10-4 I'm actually borrowing one from my buddy I'm gonna get a sterilizer just cause I think it can't hurt in the long run but I did a 25% water change and it already looks better I'm going to let things settle a bit and do another 25% before I crash tonight

10-4 I'm actually borrowing one from my buddy I'm gonna get a sterilizer just cause I think it can't hurt in the long run but I did a 25% water change and it already looks better I'm going to let things settle a bit and do another 25% before I crash tonight
If it's a bloom, water changes won't make any difference. It will clear for a few hours but start to cloud again. I suggested the water changes to help with the Ammonia and Nitrites!!. The UV will sort it out quickly. No harm at all having one yourself. Good luck with the bloom, they are very annoying to look at.....

Indeed its annoying and I think some of this is sand and fluorite as my carbon is brown and the water I look out was kind of a yellowish haze

Yep but its been in there for a while I know drift wood releases tannons (spelling error) that tint the water but that went away after a few days : ) tank actually looks a lot better after I did that water change and I also cleaned my sponge filter in the tank water so maybe its a free floating sand issue

Back
Top Bottom