cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so I know cloudy water is common but THIS?? the water is only about 2 feet deep and the water is so green cloudy that you can't even see the bottom! HELP My nitrites are 3-5 ppm
and I just added ammonia last night to maybe 4 ppm but today it is like 1 or 2 ppm as I am doing fish less cycle
NitrAtes are about 20 ppm so is cycle done?

BTW temps here are make water about 86 F and I have yet to get a filter as this is an outdoor 127 gallon tub/kiddie pool

Green water is algae.
Quick(proven) cure is a UV sterilizer(almost anyone will work;green machine....).
Possibly shading the pond also as algae does feed on light.

I could be wrong but I feel like I read that ponds often have to use UV sterilizers.

Your cycle isn't done until you have 0 ammonia and nitrites after 24 hours, only nitrates

I agree on the shading. In addition, healthy floating or submerged plants do a great job competing with algae.
I would reassess the cycle situation after getting the filter setup (and running for some time). Will this be a DIY filter or will you be purchasing one?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

filter and uv

I don't really want to use a uv as Im not really done cycling and I will be using aa 10 gallon spare filter I have. I didn't want to use it much for filtration but to kind of setup the biofilter providing the bacteria a place to stay

I don't really want to use a uv as Im not really done cycling and I will be using aa 10 gallon spare filter I have. I didn't want to use it much for filtration but to kind of setup the biofilter providing the bacteria a place to stay

More the reason to setup the filter now and have it going through the cycle process.
Which filter will you be using? Reason I ask is that filters designed for aquariums may not do well in a small outdoor container because they can be prone to clogging. Even if the green water were to die off, the amount of particulates would overwhelm most filters. Not only algae, but other things (pollen, dust, etc) will make their way into to pond. Not trying to discourage you, just things to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom