Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
]hi all - i am doing a fish in cycle for about 2 wks now and in order to try and speed it up i have been adding some bottled "good bacteria" i got at lfs (it says safe to have fish in as long as you are using it) and to be safe i am adding an active sponge filter today that i ordered from Angels plus. Water was clear week one and this week aboout day 3 after i started adding that bacteria the water became cloudy. I have heard that can be a good bacteria bloom, so my question is - do you think it is and/or do i do a water change to help clear it tonight?? I havent tested nitrates, nitrites or ammonia in a couple days but all were perfect as was PH 8.0 - 8.2 @ 78 degrees (doing Malawis) - only have some black tetras (4) which will be moved and a syno in there now - I just want to make sure i do teh right thing - I am waaaay much of an over analyzer

I would give it a little while to clear up. If it is bacteria, it is probably the non beneficial bacteria (nbb), because they reproduce faster. but bacteria in a bottle products are normally cloudy.

Its a Bacterial Bloom. It shows the sudden increase in the bacteria. It is most likely caused by the bacteria you added. It will not affect you're fish. But you should really test you're parameters.

Is it green cloudy?
Mine had this it's just the bacteria getting ready in your new tank
Water changes might help a little but not a lot

Took that pic. It's not green. Ill double check parameters and change a bit of the water. Can't hurt I guess

Fishinatic is right. Bacterial bloom definitely. I am fishless cycling my 20G, and it looks like that. exept your tank is way better than mine.
It looks awesome!

Looks like a bacterial bloom. Nice tank btw:)

Thanks! Need some more slate to finish up the bottom and its done for now. I'm hoping it clears by weekend so I can add fish. I'm apprehensive to do it right now even though the angels plus sponges say it ok right from the start to add fish. I'm not worried about losing some tetras but will be doing a big group of small Africans

Thanks! Need some more slate to finish up the bottom and its done for now. I'm hoping it clears by weekend so I can add fish. I'm apprehensive to do it right now even though the angels plus sponges say it ok right from the start to add fish. I'm not worried about losing some tetras but will be doing a big group of small Africans
Good luck.
I love the fact that you're tank is round. I always got the rectangle one's.
:)

Thanks for posting this. I have the exact same problem and my tank water looks exactly like yours so now I know!

Thanks for posting this. I have the exact same problem and my tank water looks exactly like yours so now I know!

No prob! So I can't get my hose to screw onto my faucet for a water change. UGH! It worked the first time

Back
Top Bottom