Cloudy water also!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malott72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I am brand new to this site and am looking for help! I also have a cloudy aquarium (pictures in my album - link will follow). How long does it take to clear up? I stupidly put in the bacteria starter kit, which I wish I wouldn't have done. I have been reading online to do 25% water changes. Is this true, and how often should I perform these 25% changes?

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - malott72's Album: Cloudy 1

what additive did you use for the bacteria? also did you wash the gravel before putting it in the aquarium?

looks like a bacteria bloom to me, a really big one :p

also water changes should be done weekly however since this is a new tank and the cycle has not been complete, it may of to be done more....do you have any way of testing the water for ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates?

Last edited:
My Nitrite and Nitrate levels are at 0. I have five one inch piranha and one two inch spotted puffer. My ammonia level is also 0. It was some tank starter kit from Walmart.

I was going to perform a 25% water change today after work. I hope all goes well.

Last edited:
What size tank is this? Filtration? What are you using to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What type of puffers? Some more info will help!

Cloudy Water

Hello all,

I am brand new to this site and am looking for help! I also have a cloudy aquarium (pictures in my album - link will follow). How long does it take to clear up? I stupidly put in the bacteria starter kit, which I wish I wouldn't have done. I have been reading online to do 25% water changes. Is this true, and how often should I perform these 25% changes?

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - malott72's Album: Cloudy 1

Hello mal...

Cloudy water is natural if the tank hasn't been running long. The cloudiness is just particles of plant and fish material floating in the water. Algae growth can also cloud the water. The fish, plants and water take time to establish what I call a "clear water chemistry".

If the tank's nitrogen cycle is complete, then you need to start changing half the water in the tank every week. Small water changes don't remove all the floating debris and toxins that build up in the water.

You also need to make sure you have good filtration equipment and include some polyfiber pads in the filter. The polyfiber is dense and attracts and holds the small particles that cloud the water. Large water changes also remove extra nutrients that supports the growth of algae.

Attached is a pic of a plain, low tech tank, no bells and whistles and no visible algae. Just large, weekly water changes, (no slacking) and polyfiber in the filter.

B

Attachments

• WP_20130315_001.jpg
    WP_20130315_001.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 54
What size tank is this? Filtration? What are you using to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What type of puffers? Some more info will help!

My puffer is a green spotted puffer. 75 Gallon tank. I am using test strips from Walmart, and I also have Petsmart test it for free.

Please invest in a decent liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. Amazon sells the API fw master test kits for under $20. Strips are inaccurate at best. Please also do some research on this fish you are keeping right now. I am not a puffer expert by any means but GSP do require brackish+ water conditions. Heres some more info on fish-in cycling:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Please invest in a decent liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. Amazon sells the API fw master test kits for under $20. Strips are inaccurate at best. Please also do some research on this fish you are keeping right now. I am not a puffer expert by any means but GSP do require brackish+ water conditions. Heres some more info on fish-in cycling:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I will look into the test kit. I have had the same puffer in the past. The last one I had lasted 2 years (as well as a figure 8 puffer) and was complete fresh water. They do not require brackish or salt thanks.

Your tank is not cycled, your oing to need to cycle your tank dear. there is a helpful guide in my signature. You'll be doing lots of water changes, and make sure to get a good water conditoner like Prime. testing strips are bad, they don't actually work. Also they are very unreiable. Please invest in a proper water test kit such as API master.

Just bought api test kit on amazon. I will get Prime tomorrow. I also bought a PH stabilizer.. Mine seems to be a bit high.

I will look into the test kit. I have had the same puffer in the past. The last one I had lasted 2 years (as well as a figure 8 puffer) and was complete fresh water. They do not require brackish or salt thanks.
They start life in fresh water then have to be transitioned to a marine environment. 2 years is far from a full life. They can live for 10+ years if kept in correct conditions.

Reactions: jlk
Ph stablizers are for really sensitive shrimp and fish. most will adjust. I would not use it. Its just another way for the pet store to get your money my friend. Just do your water changes, you could also try using purgin if you want to get all nice and polishing. Try adding some Anacharis, live plants go a long way to helping the cycle along. I planted a tank temporarily just to get the benefits of keeping the levels safe for fish. Anacharis is like a sponge, also try java fern, they are hardy, Anubias Nana, Water wisteria, Water sprite also help. I have those thanks to my friends!! Plus they are cheap, and natural monitor your tank for you! keeping a balance! Anacharis is cheap too!

They start life in fresh water then have to be transitioned to a marine environment. 2 years is far from a full life. They can live for 10+ years if kept in correct conditions.

Never said it died. I gave away the tank to a family friend when I went to college.

Ph stablizers are for really sensitive shrimp and fish. most will adjust. I would not use it. Its just another way for the pet store to get your money my friend. Just do your water changes, you could also try using purgin if you want to get all nice and polishing.

I respectively disagree, it's hard to tell someone that their fish will adjust without even fully knowing what their Ph is. I have a high Ph and have to use a chemical for it because nothing else (plants, CO2, DW, Peat Moss) would bring it down to a safe level for my catfish so in my honest opinion and experience it's not a waste of money. I am not encouraging anyone to just run out and try to fix their Ph with chemicals but sometimes their isn't any other option.

Back
Top Bottom