Cloudy water and algae growth problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caralot416

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Approximately four months ago I started two small acrylic freshwater tanks.

One 2.5 gallon with a betta. One 7 gallon with six glo-fish (zebra danios).

The 2.5 has a snail. The 7 gallon has four snails.

To this day the 2.5 is always crystal clear. The 7 gallon is *never* crystal clear and has a ridiculous amount of algae/black stuff collected in the filter. The filter has to be changed every two weeks and is always "loaded" with black-ish gunk.

What in the world am I doing wrong? :confused:

Caralot416 said:
Approximately four months ago I started two small acrylic freshwater tanks.

One 2.5 gallon with a betta. One 7 gallon with six glo-fish (zebra danios).

The 2.5 has a snail. The 7 gallon has four snails.

To this day the 2.5 is always crystal clear. The 7 gallon is *never* crystal clear and has a ridiculous amount of algae/black stuff collected in the filter. The filter has to be changed every two weeks and is always "loaded" with black-ish gunk.

What in the world am I doing wrong? :confused:

What kind of filter do you have on the 7g tank?

Most snails produce a lot of waste and I'm not sure what kind you have in the 7g, but 4 is a bit much IMO/E.

Here's a site to help you ID the algae and what can be done to clear it up.

http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/algae-in-the-planted-aquarium/

Thank Mr. Limpet! I got the snails at the advice of the fish shop to "help" with the algae. So confusing...

I have 6 glo-fish in the 7 gallon tank.

Caralot416 said:
Thank Mr. Limpet! I got the snails at the advice of the fish shop to "help" with the algae. So confusing...

I have 6 glo-fish in the 7 gallon tank.

I have 1 nerite snail in an 8g which does just fine and shrimp that take care of most everything else. If you can, I'd suggest returning or rehoming a couple (3?) of them.

Danios like a bit more room to roam IMO, but others may have a better take on that.

Back
Top Bottom