Cloudy water & Ammonium Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Livmclelland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys so I have a newly established tank with a halfmoon betta fish.
He is very active and happy in there, had waters tested by local fish store - perfect.
After a few days I got a reading of 0.5ppm for Ammonium which I thought was normal, bacteria was slowly developing etc.
I made a dumb decision by trying an old water filter in the tank, to see how he’d like it (it’s a small tank).
After 6 hours the water was cloudy and ammonia jumped to 1.0-2.0ppm. Took it out straight away
I then did a 40% water change and added ammu lock. I can deal with fixing the water - don’t want to risk poisoning the poor thing. Added some stress zyme as well
This morning the water went back to very cloudy but ammonia down to 0.5-1ppm.
Should I let the bacteria bloom do it’s thing? Do I keep doing water changes to keep ammonia down?
Can bacteria eat ammonia treated with ammulock?
Betta is still acting quite happy

Don't worry about the bacteria bloom. It's just a think you're gonna drive yourself crazy trying to fix without fixing the original problem. To keep the water safe, feed very sparingly and do a 50% water change every time the ammonia reads 0.5ppm or higher.

Doing this, the bacteria bloom will fix itself in time.

Yep thank you! Started feeding every second day. Ammonia seems to be wanting to jump higher and higher but kept up water changes and keeping an eye on it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom