Cloudy water four weeks and counting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been dealing with this problem and it's relentless. The water was pristine and clear. It was five weeks after I had initially changed the cartridge and thought to change it to a new one. Since then the water is murky and cloudy.

The water parameters are fine. I even would do a 10 - 20 percent water change every 2 - 3 days and still cloudy.

It was recommended at the time to switch to this: https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-EasyBa...0002DI2BE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I even used Prime too, as it was considered the best option, but I guess because I was water cycling every 2 - 3 days, I probably overdid it with prime and messed it up more.

I have been using Tetra because Amazon obligated me to be two - which came to $9.99, so I have two 16 ounce bottles to go through.

But the water still remains cloudy. I never had this problem with the API products.

So because I have a litltle API tap conditioner and stress coat, I just added those with the water change just now. I would also use quick start as well.

But this 4 week cloudy water persists. I even cleaned out the filter, which I understand is not something we should do, but I was desperate. I lost one fish this morning.

Could someone tell me why I don't have pristine water like before? It's really upsetting. Should I just use the Tetra once a month and do the API with every water change? I cycle the water every 3 days or so because of the fish waste.

I just wanted to add that the Terta has 4/5 stars on Amazon and the 1/5 stars did complain that the water immediately clouded as soon as they added Terta, but they did not say what they did to clear it - unless it's assumed they never used it again.

It's hard to tell, but maybe all the water changes had something to do with it. My humble opinion - water change once a week and stop using all those water products. I only use medication when needed and a bit of plant fertilizer.

Wow, so in less than 24 hours of water cycling and using just the API products, water is back to being pristine and crystal clear. I don't know what happened, other than this time doing a 40 percent change than a 25 percent water change.

I have the tank 4 months. I was introduced to the API products when I bought the tank but I had been reading on this board that it's not a good product. This apparently works for me.

Back
Top Bottom