Cloudy Water/ New Tank Syndrome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacehk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I put some fish in my 20 gallon aquarium about a week ago - it was all cycled and ready to go. Yesterday, the water started looking really cloudy. I did a 25% water change, but it looks even worse today. I've been looking things up online, but I'm reading conflicting things. One source said to do a 50% water change while another source said to leave the water alone for a few days for it to clear up. Which would be the best course of action? Also, I tested my water, and ammonia and nitrites are at zero, so at least I know the bacteria are doing their job. Could the cloudiness be a bacteria bloom? I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

Occasionally my new tanks will be cloudy until the bb catches up. After adding new fish it might be that your bacteria has to catch up to the new load. Bacteria will bloom and feed off of nutrients that naturally come in your tap water. Don't change it for a few days and you should see an improvement. New water just keeps feeding bacteria and algae blooms

Back
Top Bottom