Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
wrx
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to wrx
[color=brown]Cycle with decomposing fish food[/color]

In one of the post below mine i was reading that you can put some fish food in the tank with NO fish just the food & let it decompose and it will cycle the tank just like adding ammonia to it. Does this work for new tanks and if so why have i only seen one post mention this.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes, it works for any tank. That helps doing the so-called fishless cycle. On the other hand, this is not so reliable a method. A better approach is to use ammonium products, such as ammonium hydroxide or better ammonium chloride.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
wrx
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to wrx
Bio Booster

three days ago i used a product called bio booster on the bottle it says concentrated beneficial bacteria the product is made by aqua master www.aristopet.com.au I am supposed to use it once a week i have tested my ph & ammonia and ph is high & ammonia still 0 i have noticed the glass on my tank is foggy so i put my hand in the water and it is warm not room temp i did not do a water change yet could this be anything to do with product maybe .
I went out today and brought some ammonia from a supper market should i use this or is it to late because i added the bio booster three days ago if not how much do i use.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bacterial addenda are somehow controversial in the hobby. The general consensus is that the products are useless since they are not kept refrigerated. However, there are some positive claims wrt biospira.

Ammonia: make sure there is no additional product, i.e., if you shake the bottle, does it foam? If yes, that's not good a product. You need "pure ammonia" (which does not exist as a liquid at our room temperature, but does as ammonium hydroxide). One disadvantage of the hydroxide compound is that it changes the pH, increasing it to caustic values. Ammonium chloride is better since Cl- does not interact with pH. But anyway, do the cycle with "pure" ammonia, and when the cycle is done, make sure your water turns back to a "normal" pH value, typical of your tap water.

Tags
color, cycle, deco, fish food, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com