Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought I would make this a sticky for awhile and gather some thoughts for discussion on the subject. In this way anyone contemplating setting up a tank for the first time can read the thread and be aware of what to look for.

Most people starting an aquarium think... Add water, add fish, and that's all there is to it. Taking on just one topic at a time (eg. N cycle), please add some common pitfalls that you can think of.

I think #1 would be not doing reserch or doing what the place of purchase tells you without double checking. Atleast thats what got me of to a bad start. But now thanks to some goods books and the good people here I am on my way the correct way.

I'm a saltie, but my advice works the same for fresh or salt water.

Don't buy a THING until you've done some research - and not the kind of research and information obtained solely from asking the LFS. I guarantee you'll waste money on either something you don't need or things that you should've bought another kind of something the first time - of course after you use it and can't return it. :(

Well, I just started a week or so ago, so I've already made plenty of mistakes that I'm sure are common.

- You can't always trust the person in the pet store. They may not really know what they are doing. That's what this site is for. Barring someone who has either owned the store for some time or someone who has worked with fish for some time, you won't be getting good advice unless you're lucky. Always get a second opinion.

- Overfeeding seems harmless, but it's not. I made the assumption that it was to keep the fish from getting fat, but when's the last time you saw a fat fish? Apparently, which I learned a little too late, the food will break down into ammonia, which combined with the ammonia from the fish can raise your levels quickly.

- Have patience. I didn't. Your fishkeeping life will be a lot easier if you properly cycle your tank before getting your fish.

- Add fish just a handful at a time. For instance, a pleco which can be fine alone you can throw in (well, not literally throw), but fish that like to school or those that prefer a partner may not do so well by themselves. But! You don't want to add too many fish at once. You tank won't be able to stabilize as quickly and you increase your chance of fish deaths.

- Get an air stone. Even if you don't neccessarily need one, it's fun to watch the fish play in the bubbles, and there's nothing wrong with them getting enough oxygen in there.

- Don't leave the lid open if you have ferrets and a stand they are capable of climbing nearby. They will try to go for a swim.

That's all I've got for now, but as I make more mistakes, I'll tell you.

Or fish that will become too large for the tank without having any plans to get a bigger tank down the road.

Have some patience.

Buy the biggist tank you can afford. In most cases longer tanks are preferable to taller tanks.

Stock slowly!

Don't pick fish based on the fact that you like the way they look. Know the fish. How big will it get, does it need to be kept in a school, is it more of a vegetarian or a carnivore? You can't rely on a store employees advice if you don't know them. Sadly many would sell you a Pacu and a nurse shark for a 20 gallon high.

Buy a testing kit. You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates under 40ppm.

There is no such thing as too many partial water changes.

Topping off a tank is not a water change.

Gravel vacs are not optional and should be a regular part of your cleaning routine.

Pythons are the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't even look at pH up and pH down products.

Feed your fish a wide variety of food ideally in very small amounts a couple times a day.

Don't attempt to treat sick fish by buying every single type of medicine available at Petsmart. Most of them are going to do more harm then good.

To add to talloulou's comment about the biggest tank you can afford. The reasoning is that it is easier to maintain water parameters in a larger tank. Temps fluctuate less and more water equals more fluid to dissipate the harmful chemicals. And when you do water changes it is a bit easier i've found. With a 10 gallon you can't vac much up because you lose a lot of water very fast and you really don't have 10 gallons in there cuz you have gravel, decor, etc. Just my two cents!!

Fish Compatibility Charts:

While these are at times helpful, they are not the absolute indicators of which fish can co-habitate with another. Some fish can co-habitate when young but once they are adults, the entire community may need to be altered.

Online Forum Advice:

Great resources of information as most of the folks providing the advice have years of experience (present company included). However, you should never base a major decision based on this alone. Gather as much information as you can from all sources you can find, then make the decision.

Here are my top 3:

1. Buy a python
2. Buy a python
3. If you know there is absolutely no way you will ever want a pleco, do not, under any circumstances ever even think about broaching the subject with jchillin.

:D Man, there's some good stuff in here already. Here's what I really think occurs:

The newbie picks up snippets of information. Even if the information is correct, he/she views the information as something which stands alone. For example, pH 6.5. Then they look for ways to reach pH 6.5. There is no way for the newbie to apply this information to their needs because they don't have the total picture. They ultimately become confused and frustrated as they begin to realize there is a cause and effect in everything they add to the tank.

If we could somehow get the newbie to understand that they are creating a completely enclosed ecosystem, which is perpetually changing, they would grasp the total picture much sooner.

You hit the nail on the head Brian. Everything we do in the tank has a cause and effect.

bosk1 said:
3. If you know there is absolutely no way you will ever want a pleco, do not, under any circumstances ever even think about broaching the subject with jchillin.

Everyone should have a pleco. We have literally thousands of species and we need...errr, they need to be in your tanks. :)

Taken from another thread, but I think its a good read for people starting out:

Fact: Bacteria can only consume a set amount of food (be it ammonia, or nitrIte). 1 bacterium can eat 1 bacterium's amount of food, and 10 can eat 10 bacteria's amount of food, and so on. 1 bacterium cannot eat 10 bacteria's amount of food in the same period of time.

Fact: A fully cycled tank shows no detectable levels of ammonia or nitrIte. (unless something traumatic has just occurred)

Fact: A higher concentration of acid (ammonia) or biologically damaging agents (nitrIte, nitrAte) in solution causes more severe damage than a lower concentration. (normal tank levels we are talking here i.e. under 100ppm as no fish will survive in this high level of ammonia or nitrIte)

Fact: The ONLY reason you can detect levels of ammonia and nitrIte in the tank are because the current population of bacteria/plants/algae are not great enough YET to use up this food source in a timely manner.

My logical opinion based on the above facts The BEST way to avoid further damage and future fish death where you have an uncycled tank AND fish alraedy in the tank is to keep all tank levels (ammonia/nitrIte, and nitrAte) at just ABOVE being undetectable. As long as you can detect a small amount of ammonia and nitrIte in the tank your bacteria have all the food they need to survive and multiply. As their numbers increase the amount of food they require will increase and thus less excess will need to be removed (PWC's), until finally there will be no detectable ammonia or nitrIte levels in the tank.

And the best advice I can give to anyone, regardless of the topic, is to NEVER take anyone's advice as truth, not even mine. :D Take everything you have learned, mull it over, and look for holes in your argument. When you can't find any, post it here, and see if other's can find a fault. If not, your good to go... And HAVE FUN!

justin

Uummm as a newbie reading this thread, this is all fantastic help, and yes its a great idea to have a one-stop-shop for us novices to go and get the info we need. One thing I might point out though, some of you are throwing out terms and phrases without explaining them, you just might want to realise that we don't know what you're talking about half the time. (Is there some sort of "dictionary of terms"? That would be a great help)

Specifically for me - what is a python and what is a pleco??

jmcbubbles,

Very good point. I'm still new to this forum, but have picked up a lot of the lingo, and apologize if my post was confusing. One of the great things I have found on this specific forum is that a lot of the terminology (especially acronyms) are hotlinked so that if you see them in different colors or underlined, place your mouse over the word and it will give you a short description. Like these:

CO2

PWC

MTS

HTH :)

"No one wants advice - only corroboration." ~John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

Sometimes people are honestly looking for good advice, other times people really are just looking for someone to agree with what they have already decided. The best you can do is offer up your wisdom and then try to let go of what comes of it.

Everyone should have a pleco. We have literally thousands of species and we need...errr, they need to be in your tanks.

Well, as a newbie who has conquered the Cycle and Ich, I am feeling confident and want to add another fish or 2.... and was coming on here to ask some opinions on what to get. Ummm... I guess I'll get a Pleco. :lol:
Does jchillin give out Kudos to newbies who get Plecos? :lach:

Back
Top Bottom