community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webbaaa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone! I have a 75 gallon tank and I want it to be a community tank, it currently has 3 guppies in, I would like to have all sorts of different coloured fish and fish for all different levels, as I currently have some top swimming fish, id mainly like middle swimmers and a couple bottom, thanks!!

Would you be interested in any colorful schooling fish such as neon tetras? A community tank would not be complete without at least a school or two, in my opinion!

Would you be interested in any colorful schooling fish such as neon tetras? A community tank would not be complete without at least a school or two, in my opinion!

I definitely want schooling fish, but I was interested in an angel fish but o heard that they eat neons?

I definitely want schooling fish, but I was interested in an angel fish but o heard that they eat neons?

Do you want easy-to-care for schooling fish or fish that are for more experienced owners?((it's so i can narrow down the possibilities))

I would like mostly easy, but 1 school that holds a bit of a challenge would be nice

Do you want easy-to-care for schooling fish or fish that are for more experienced owners?((it's so i can narrow down the possibilities))

I would like mostly easy, but 1 fish or 1 school of fish I would like a bit of a challenge

I would like mostly easy, but 1 school that holds a bit of a challenge would be nice

For a general school, I'd suggest harlequin rasboras; although they are small, they are peaceful and the Angelfish will not eat them(at least, I haven't experienced them eating the harlequins nor saw anything online about it). Just keep the Angelfish well fed and keep a close eye on things.

EDIT: Forgot to add this, but put the smaller fish in first and make sure that the Angelfish bought is juvenile or still small enough to not fit anything in its mouth; I've heard that they'll leave even the neon tetras alone if they are raised with them.

okay, I'll look into them. any other schools? and how many should be in the school

okay, I'll look into them. any other schools? and how many should be in the school

As a rule of thumb, a school is 5-8 fish, although with your tank size, you can probably take 6-7. As for other schools, Cory fish, or Cory catfish, are almost guaranteed to be safe for Angelfish housing. They are hardy, but less colorful. They are also slightly larger than some schooling fish, so 5 is enough.

okay. thanks for your help! I'm excited to start a new tank

I don't recommend a single angelfish. Most all fish are happier in groups and a loose school of angels is very attractive. Besides, then they are more interested in each other than the neons

I don't recommend a single angelfish. Most all fish are happier in groups and a loose school of angels is very attractive. Besides, then they are more interested in each other than the neons

How many would you recommend for my size tank?

I vote for a school of 12-15 rummynose tetra. They are awesome...

Depends on what else you have in the tank but 5-6 angels make a nice display.

the plan is so far 6 guppies, 8 rummynose tetra, 7 harlequin rasboras and a couple of Cory cat fish. I was thinking 2 maybe 3 angels

Id go with at least 6 corys, they are a schooling fish also and truthfully they are hilarious to watch bobbing to the top alot. Any invertibrates you thinking about as a cleaner?

I have a lot of snails, I'm getting more snails soon because I have a lot of containers full of fry at the moment so they've all got a snail in them

Funny, my 65, ive been working on getting several hundred out lol. Wife didnt pay attention to a few clutches behind the filter when i was out of town for 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom