Community Well and RO Water Mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosecurt6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first tank I've managed in years and first I've done on a community well.

Made the mistake of filling tank with strictly the well water to start and I've been trying to bring the pH down using my RO system to a stable range for standard tropical freshwater fish.

20 gallon tank that I've done four, 4 gallon water changes over last 1.5wk with strictly RO water but my pH is still not budging below 8.

I have one Black Fin Tetra in there that has been alive and well but lost 3 of his buddies (Mom and Pop pet store told me the water was good the first time so I added fish - wrong!). Went with the Tetras to help cycle the tank before adding different fish.

Any other tips to bring the pH down? Would mixing the RO with tap water assist in kick starting vs doing strictly RO?

Just trying to have a cool small tank in my office and for my kids!

Hello, if fish not struggling at ph of 8. I would leave alone. Fish can adapt to a ph range of 6-9.
Chasing a ph is where it becomes dangerous. A ph swing can kill or worse cripple a fish. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!
This is my first tank I've managed in years and first I've done on a community well.

Made the mistake of filling tank with strictly the well water to start and I've been trying to bring the pH down using my RO system to a stable range for standard tropical freshwater fish.

20 gallon tank that I've done four, 4 gallon water changes over last 1.5wk with strictly RO water but my pH is still not budging below 8.

I have one Black Fin Tetra in there that has been alive and well but lost 3 of his buddies (Mom and Pop pet store told me the water was good the first time so I added fish - wrong!). Went with the Tetras to help cycle the tank before adding different fish.

Any other tips to bring the pH down? Would mixing the RO with tap water assist in kick starting vs doing strictly RO?

Just trying to have a cool small tank in my office and for my kids!

Thanks for the reply MJ!

I've had 3 Black Fin Tetras die at this pH level so I am hesitant to add others.

I'd like to add a couple Blue Rams along with some schooling fish and bottom feeders to outfit my tank - so I am nervous to add other fish if the Tetras aren't surviving (I was told theyre a hardier fish).

Black skirt tetras don't thrive in a high ph. The to trick should have worked. There are 2 other ways I know of to lower ph slowly & safely without chemicals.
1=add a lot of drift wood to tank.
2=put peat moss in a bag or nylon stocking & sink in tank or put in filter. Both ways will add tannins witch will make water look a tea color.
Thanks for the reply MJ!

I've had 3 Black Fin Tetras die at this pH level so I am hesitant to add others.

I'd like to add a couple Blue Rams along with some schooling fish and bottom feeders to outfit my tank - so I am nervous to add other fish if the Tetras aren't surviving (I was told theyre a hardier fish).

Back
Top Bottom