Compatible fish for a crayfish aquarium ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know of any good community fish for my crayfish tank I was thinking

1 hatchet fish

A Couple glow fish

A red tip shark

Does anyone have experience with cichlids and crayfish living together which cichlids would go good with them

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

No it's not possible to have crayfish with fish, unless you want dead fish.
The crayfish will sneak up on the fish at night and eat them

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice

It is possible, but you have to be very selective.

I know someone on here has dwarf puffers with their dwarf crayfish for months with no issues.

Most cichlids are out of the question. I learned the hard way with my JD that cichlids like to eat crayfish as part of their natural diet.....

Caleb

I know someone on here has dwarf puffers with their dwarf crayfish for months with no issues.

Most cichlids are out of the question. I learned the hard way with my JD that cichlids like to eat crayfish as part of their natural diet.....

Caleb

Would glow fish and a red tip shark work

Youll be taking a chance with any fish. You can hedge the odds in your favor by making sure the crayfish stays well fed and has food that's easier than fish to get its claws on. No guarantees though. They are opportunistic omnivores and will try to eat whatever they can.

You didn't mention a tank size, but larger would be better.

Youll be taking a chance with any fish. You can hedge the odds in your favor by making sure the crayfish stays well fed and has food that's easier than fish to get its claws on. No guarantees though. They are opportunistic omnivores and will try to eat whatever they can.

You didn't mention a tank size, but larger would be better.

I have 2 crayfish (soon to be 3) in a 50 gallon aquarium with tons of hiding spots

Caleb

Yep, this guy! Never had a problem. Just I think OP has a bigger crayfish, not the dwarfs. I really wouldn't add any fish, if you get lucky it may work but 95% it won't. Here's a vid with a dwarf puffer and a normal sized cray:
Plus Caleb you can see they do puff up ;)

Yep, this guy! Never had a problem. Just I think OP has a bigger crayfish, not the dwarfs. I really wouldn't add any fish, if you get lucky it may work but 95% it won't. Here's a vid with a dwarf puffer and a normal sized cray:

Plus Caleb you can see they do puff up ;)

Oh my word!

Poor little guy :(

Caleb

Oh... RIP puffer 2015... Or whenever...

The guy called it too, said it would be fine as long as it didn't go near the bottom...

Brutal, dang.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom