Complete novice needing some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, this is my first post and I am looking for any advice I can get. I have searched and searched sites and forums and I am getting a little confused with the amount of information out there so decided to show and describe where I am at and see what pointers I can get, so here goes...

For over a year now I have collected and set up various small tanks housing frogs and toads recently expanding into a new large vivarium which is totally bioactive. All live planting and springtails and other cultures creating a fantastic eco system which is working well however I have also started to set up an aquarium tank which currently houses some fire bellied toads and a paddle tail newt which I will be adding some ghost and cherry shrimp and some cloud minnows at a later date. I have had similar working in a smaller tank previously but in keeping with the vivarium eco system I have planted this one creating a more natural aquascape. Trouble is I have never worked on this scale before, have never worked with live aquarium plants and have little experience of aquariums in general.

My tank is around 2.5ft.
I added a base layer of standard gravel to the bottom of the tank before adding Tetra complete substrate. Over this went a fine gravel.
I then added rocks, drift wood, various live plants and a moss ball.
I added a small filter which stirs the surface of the water, a little fish food and I set the lighting away on a timer. This I ran for around a week.
I added my toads and newt and left a further two weeks.

I noticed some of the plants turning brown at the ends so after further reading I added a co2 system and have an air pump on order. I believe my lighting needs to be rectified as it is a standard bulb supplied with the tank. I have clipped a further light source outside the tank for a temporary measure but need some advice now on what I need do next regarding lighting changes, fertilisers etc.

I don't know much about your issues, but if you try posting in the Reptiles, Amphibians, and Herpetology forum, and possibly the Planted Tank forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help. They may not see your post in this forum.

First, hello and welcome.

There's a lot I don't know much about with your questions, but I do know that using an air pump with a CO2 system is counterproductive.

Unless you have a dinosaur that blows bubbles out of its nose. ?

Thank you and whilst it does sound counter productive I believe I'd read something about keeping the water oxygenated too and that a small flow of air bubbles can assist with breaking the surface water and oxegenating the water which is good for the fish that I'll be adding. You see this is where I'm getting confused, so much info and not enough clarity lol, im trying to get the balance right for the live plants and the livestock and think I could be overthinking it all.

I don't know much about your issues, but if you try posting in the Reptiles, Amphibians, and Herpetology forum, and possibly the Planted Tank forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help. They may not see your post in this forum.

Thank you also.

I've used forums before for other hobbies and it's generally been frowned upon posting the same question to different boards so I'd tried to go general but if this is allowed on the site then I'll go ahead and do that thank you

This was one of the articles I'd seen re. The need for an air pump?

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the reminder I've been meaning to get tester kits. With the frogs being so hardy it wasn't a worry. Knew I'd need them before getting fish but hadn't thought about testing for the plants. I'll have to start looking at which test kits I do need.

Have tried to upload a video and a possible link to YouTube which may get approved but for now here are some progress pics of where I am currently at...

Attachments

• IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 37
And some more pictures to ty and help with information coming back....

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3696.jpg
    IMG_3696.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3716.jpg
    IMG_3716.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 34
And a couple more pics to show plant choices...

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3717.jpg
    IMG_3717.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 31
Started adding flora grow plant fertilizer today I was advised to add this weekly

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgent help needed

Hi, sorry for this general post but I'm currently setting up a new tank and have posted looking for advice on the setup as I'm a novice yet looking today I've just found a baby fish. It must have got caught in the bag when getting shrimp today at pet store. I have fire bellie toads and a newt in the tank so I have quickly removed it to a small cup but haven't a clue what to do now. Do i put it back and prey it survives or can someone tell me the best way to keep this little fella going?

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3720.jpg
    IMG_3720.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 39
I've added gravel and water from the tank to a sterilised glass vase and transferred the fish to here. Added a little fish food too whilst awaiting responses.

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 26
Just cut a small piece of java moss from moss ball in main tank and added this for baby too. Hope I'm doing this all right

My posts have kind of run away from me a little now so thought I'd recap for anyone interested and helping. Thanks for your patience:

How does the tank look?

Have I got be basics right here or do i need to make changes?

Should I be adding an air pump or not?

Can I replace the bulb for better lighting or should I look to add LED lighting along side the standard bulb?

What tests should I be running? How often and what should I be looking for?

Any general maintenance tips or advice?

How do I save the baby fish I found?

I like how the tank looks. Not sure about the other stuff but I'm guessing that baby is a guppy, instead of the vase you could get a breeder net https://www.google.com/search?q=bre...xksXRAhUIOyYKHQf6D94Q_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=512 the hang on side divider and keep him in your main tank but so no one can eat him. Or if you can't find one I've used a bigger fish net as a temporary set up

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like how the tank looks. Not sure about the other stuff but I'm guessing that baby is a guppy, instead of the vase you could get a breeder net https://www.google.com/search?q=bre...xksXRAhUIOyYKHQf6D94Q_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=512 the hang on side divider and keep him in your main tank but so no one can eat him. Or if you can't find one I've used a bigger fish net as a temporary set up

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thank you. With regards the breeder net I've found these at my local store also known as a ''hatchery" £4 for net version or £5 for plastic. I'll try get up there in the morning to take a look.

Back
Top Bottom