Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Complete or 50% water change? Please help!

I recently bought a 10 gal aquarium last friday and filled it with well water and started the cycle. Little did I know that well water had a water softener and I think is the reason for the following test results: kH 70ppm, gH 60ppm, pH 7.8. I bought a neutral regulator from seachem to conteract the pH but now my general concern is the gH levels, kH levels and sodium content in the water. As a result, I am planning to source my water from somewhere else, probably city tap water from another house that I will dechlorinate. I am wondering if I should do a 50% water change in my tank right now with the new water source or should I just replace all the water and recycle the tank (which would be a pain). Also, If i do have to get rid of all the water, would I have to replace the filter media since it would be contaminated?

Old 06-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there’s no fish yet you can finish the cycle.

I’d only be concerned about the sodium content because generally speaking, fresh water fish and some snail etc might not do well with sodium but there is no way to tell 100% what is likely to happen. You could perhaps stick with your current water and go with fish who are more suited to brackish environments.

I wouldn’t really be concerned about much else.

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com