Conflicted Advice. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glogal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had 3 glofish tetras in a 5-gal tank (which I know now was too many) and was told at a pet store that I should have at least 5 to make a school so needed a 10-gal tank so they would behave normally and not be stressed. I got that, set it up and moved the 3 glofish to their new home.

I just went to another pet store (a week later) that had a sale and was going to get 2 more glofish tetras, but they told me that 5 was too many for a 10-gal tank because they get at least 3 inches long so 3 is the most I should have.

Should I keep it at 3 or get 2 more? I have no idea.
Thank you!

Which species of glofish did you get? There are different types: Danios, skirt tetras and tiger barbs.
The danios you might be able to get away with 5 in a 10g. The rest you should have around 20g for a school to prevent aggression.

They must be skirt tetras as I can eliminate tiger and Danios. Guess I will have to leave it at 3 and hope they continue to get along since I already have them. Frustrating that the pet store gave bad advice. I don’t want stressed out or bullied fish! Thank you.

Pet stores are notorious for bad advice unfortunately.

Are they currently nipping? Any chance you can return either the 10 gallon or the glo-tetras for something more appropriate for a 10 gallon? Having schooling fish in less than optimal numbers can make for fish who nip and hide and aren’t so much fun to keep!

Back
Top Bottom