Conflicting advice = consolidate questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imahawki

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I'm a newbie to the forum and have been asking a lot of questions. I have some ideas about what I want to accomplish so I've been posting about lighting, substrate, filters, etc. in the appropriate forums. But here is a consolidation of my thoughts and questions for everyone to view at once and make sure that person A is telling my correct advice and person B is telling me correct advice but A & B dont know that I'm asking conflicting questions. So here goes...

1) I have a 35 gallon hex tank. Its about 22" tall and probably about 20"-22" wide point to point, which means its probably a little less, side to side.

2) I had planned on putting live plants in here so I've already done a 100% flourite substrate.

3) I dont have much area on top of the tank due to the hood design for light. I found the 36w x 1 kit at hello lights will fit under the shroud of my current light bar so it will look nice. Anything larger than that wont fit through the small pane of glass so I'd have to try to commission someone to due a custom tempered all glass lid which is probably not in the cards. I've gotten a lot of lighting recomendations, most of which will not work with my current hood, so my options are limited.

4) The water here is pretty hard and high pH (7.8-8.0 out of the tap). I've already added some natural driftwood to soften a bit and of course I can treat the pH but I'd rather not fight the natural water TOO much (i.e. I'm not wanting to put the work in to support a 6.5pH softwater fish).

5) One of the ideas I'm toying with is to do basically an all guppy tank (save a handful or corys and ottos) with the hopes that they would breed.

Let me know what your thoughts based on these criteria.

Guppies are a pain, but with good water and plenty of space for fry to hide they should do well. A species tank with all sorts of little fish can get boring after a while. There are too many fish and nothing to concentrate on. I'd add in a small school of hatchets, black tetras, or a centerpiece fish that won't bother the guppies. Otos are good, they might try your live plants though.

Guppies are pain? In what sense? I'm I incorrect when I think I remember hearing that live bearers do better in hard water? What about the pH related stuff? Everyone at the LFS keeps recomending Danios as beeing hardy and they also are saying that the pH is too high for tetras (obviously I can treat the water but doesnt that make everything very difficult when water change time comes, etc?

I think that guppies are a terrific choice for your size tank and conditions. You're absolutely correct that you won't have to fiddle with water conditions for them. I also think a tank full of them looks awesome.

Perhaps the reason you're getting conflicting info on the lighting is that people don't have a clear idea on what your ultimate goal is. What plants have you decided on? That's the determining factor for your lighting.

For your #3; there's no need for it to be glass- you could buy a $15 sheet of acrilyc and $5 knife to cut it and make your own. Most of the chain hardware stores around here sell it as a replacement for window glass.

Hmmm, I may have to check that out before I order lights. I'd rather be in the 2 wpg range to be honest. What kind of knife would you cut it with and how thick will the acrylic be? Do you just score it and then snap it or do you have to cut it all the way? Any ideas on how to make the "opening" part for feeding the fish, etc?

BlazerFRS said:
For your #3; there's no need for it to be glass- you could buy a $15 sheet of acrilyc and $5 knife to cut it and make your own. Most of the chain hardware stores around here sell it as a replacement for window glass.

If you do this, get acrylic that is at least 1/4 inch (preferably 3/8 inch) thick. IME, anything thinner will warp from the heat and sag.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pH and hardness so long as thery're stable. Chances are that your lfs has the same water conditions as you. Most fish are very adaptable to a wide range of pH and hardness values. They may not breed, but they will otherwise thrive.

Any livebearer would work well in your tank, and I think it is a great idea. Lots of activity in all areas and they will thrive in your water, but like QTOFFER says, don't be afraid of your pH, since your LFS has the same water and honestly most farm raised fish available today are very adaptable.

I think Depotfish's comment about them being "a pain" is that they WILL breed and you have to do something with the fry. Sometimes they eat some of their own fry and they somewhat limit their own populations, especially if you don't take any special care to protect the female when she is ready to drop her fry. If you skip the breeding box and let nature take its course you will have plenty of fish, trust me, but the population won't get out of hand.

definitely don't use the pH to judge what fish you can and can't have. I have very hard water that's alkaline as werll (7.4ish) so don't be afraid. I keep loaches, angelfish, tetras.. etc in my water. YOu just have to be a bit more careful when accimilating them.

Back
Top Bottom