Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I realised my filter stopped giving bubbles because it was moved when i cleaned the tank few days ago. Fish stayed at the top of tank mostly. Sorted now and they seem happier :) Also found i was feeding them too mucn. Can't get a bigger tank yet due to room space! Will choose right fish and not overstock and wait till I can make room for a bigger tank

got my test kit earlier. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all 0. ph seems pretty high 7.6. Is this ok? If not, how can I fix it?

If the PH reads 7.6, then go to the HIgh PH bottle and use that to see what the PH is. If it's higher than 7.6 then normal PH test won't read it.

Also shake all of the bottles for at least a few seconds before using them (I tap them on my palm a few times too). I find that not doing so can cause inaccurate readings if the liquids inside settle too much. For the nitrate test, you want to shake and bang both bottles on a hard surface for 30 seconds and then vigorously shake the tube for 60 seconds and then wait 5 minutes for the results (it can be inaccurate if not done exactly as there's a reagent powder in the bottle that can get clumped an cause inaccurate readings) although you probably won't have nitrates yet. :)

It's good if you don't have ammonia, that means you're staying on top of water changes. But to double check I'd shake the bottles and test again.

Your PH is likely fine btw, just use the high PH kit too so we'll know what it reads.

Reactions: HHT
If the PH reads 7.6, then go to the HIgh PH bottle and use that to see what the PH is. If it's higher than 7.6 then normal PH test won't read it.

Also shake all of the bottles for at least a few seconds before using them (I tap them on my palm a few times too). I find that not doing so can cause inaccurate readings if the liquids inside settle too much. For the nitrate test, you want to shake and bang both bottles on a hard surface for 30 seconds and then vigorously shake the tube for 60 seconds and then wait 5 minutes for the results (it can be inaccurate if not done exactly as there's a reagent powder in the bottle that can get clumped an cause inaccurate readings) although you probably won't have nitrates yet. :)

It's good if you don't have ammonia, that means you're staying on top of water changes. But to double check I'd shake the bottles and test again.

Your PH is likely fine btw, just use the high PH kit too so we'll know what it reads.

My wife did the tests. I was at work. She did shake the tubes quite vigorously. I'll ask her to do the higher ph test and let you know the result. Will do all the tests again just to sure and will ask her to shake as advised :)

My tank has been crystal clear since the last water change and the fish seem a lot happier with the bubbles going into the tank (from filter), so happy the clouding's gone.

I think we will be changing the fish (well going to cut down to 2 molly's, and give the neons away)

Back
Top Bottom