Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tottenham12712 said:
I believe he is getting a false reading of ammonia. That .5 at the tap is most likely chlorine. Prime does not remove all of it instantly, that would be next to impossible. It starts to work instantly but does not complete instantly. Same with any of these chemicals(ammo lock, prime, any water conditioner) Ive tested it a few times and in a 5 gallon bucket that is moved around every few hours and takes about 12-24 hours to gas the chlorine out.

Why would chlorine register as nh3?

jetajockey said:
Why would chlorine register as nh3?

Chlorine wouldn't register as NH3 but some test kits will pick up Chloramines which is a combination of Ammonia and Chlorine and can often be read as Ammonia. Water companies often use a higher concentration of Chloramines to curb bacteria in the water supply.

butterfly_koi said:
Chlorine wouldn't register as NH3 but some test kits will pick up Chloramines which is a combination of Ammonia and Chlorine and can often be read as Ammonia. Water companies often use a higher concentration of Chloramines to curb bacteria in the water supply.

Yeah, I knew the chloramine thing where the bond is broken releasing chlorine and ammonia. I was specifically talking about chlorine by itself, not chloramine. You are 1000% correct btw :)

Test results from tonight:

Ammo 0ppm?!?!?
Nitrites 0ppm
NitrAtes 5ppm - much darker 5ppm reading than it was yesterday
pH 7.2

I did add prime yesterday morning due to the fact that I needed to add more water (water level was getting low). I was under the impression that if there was ammonia in the tank you would still get a positive test even with the prime detoxing it?

All fish look healthy, are active and eating :)

tottenham12712 said:
I believe he is getting a false reading of ammonia. That .5 at the tap is most likely chlorine. Prime does not remove all of it instantly, that would be next to impossible. It starts to work instantly but does not complete instantly. Same with any of these chemicals(ammo lock, prime, any water conditioner) Ive tested it a few times and in a 5 gallon bucket that is moved around every few hours and takes about 12-24 hours to gas the chlorine out.

Then everyone's fishes would be dying !

Killian said:
Test results from tonight:

Ammo 0ppm?!?!?
Nitrites 0ppm
NitrAtes 5ppm - much darker 5ppm reading than it was yesterday
pH 7.2

I did add prime yesterday morning due to the fact that I needed to add more water (water level was getting low). I was under the impression that if there was ammonia in the tank you would still get a positive test even with the prime detoxing it?

All fish look healthy, are active and eating :)

Your levels are good. Just keep checking it daily and hopefully just your trates stay going up.

Back
Top Bottom